driving light auxilliary

26 replies to this topic

#1 Burbel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

I bought my Clearwater Glenda LED lights (http://clearwaterlig...opg_glenda.html) based on the review that I read on WebBikeWorld (http://www.webbikewo...driving-lights/). As I live in downtown Austin one of the things that worries me most is being sufficient conspicuous on the road. Based on the reviews for these lights and the copy of the Hurt Study that I read (http://en.wikipedia....iki/Hurt_Report), I decided that mounting the lights down low would be best for visibility to other motorists and pedestrians.

Called Clearwater and got the kit for the Ducati Multistrada (same kit for the Diavel). The kit came with instructions from Clearwater lights, but the instructions are a bit vague. I wanted to post what I ran into so that this process is a bit less painful for those that come after me. Hopefully they can combine some of my feedback from this post into updating their instructions for a Diavel.

1) Mounting the lights - the included kit has what it calls "small shoulder washers" - these are supposed to go into the drilled holes on the front fender that the screws go through. Not sure on a standard Diavel but on my carbon the shoulder washers were too big to fit into the drilled hole - I removed them and instead placed 1 plastic washer on each end of the spacer. That makes a solid connection, and allows a bit of flex for the lights.

2) Running the light cables - I ran the cables outside the forks, and zip-tied them to the brake lines. To keep the zip ties from moving make sure to put them on the side of the rubber holders of the brake lines themselves - this will keep them from moving as the bike shifts around. I routed the wires up the left side of the bike (from facing the front) and behind the steering column.

3) The volume control know - the supplied rubber mount for the volume control knob didn't torque down sufficiently on my bike - I got it as best I could but I'll be looking for an alternative going forward - I went ahead and installed it on the left side of the bars (from the driver's perspective) but am not 100% happy with that.

4) Wiring - in the manual the wiring section shows a complicated wiring harness and honestly had my scratching my head. After removing the headlight (an easy job once I figured out that you can rotate the handlebars to change the access to the plugs on the back). Anyway, once you get the headlight out you can start planning out the wiring. It turns out that there is a switched accessory outlet in the bundle of wires coming up the clutch-side of the handlebars. In it you will find, near the top, a small white plastic socket filled with a connector that terminates in about an inch and a half of black crimped plastic - this is there for the accessory GPS kit I believe.

After removing that plug, I removed the covering rubber/plastic and soldered on 2 18" extensions. I heat-shrunk each soldered connection and then heat-shrunk another piece of tubing over both wires and the end of the plug to help the connections stay secure. This was the key to the project, getting things done without having to cannibalize any wiring harnesses. This plug and the extensions will be the power leads for the lights.

The only remaining item is the high beam - this is the only time I used one of the posi-tap connectors that came in the kit. On the headlight assembly, the high beam is the lower light. Follow the yellow wire from the high beam back to the connector to the wiring harness - that is where I tapped in the high beam switch for the Glenda lights.

Wiring everything together was actually pretty straightforward from this point. You group up the 4 wires for power and ground (I used the ground from the plug, and not the body ground from the kit) and connect those (I used standard screw-on electrical connectors like you would for a ceiling fan kit, and then wrapped them in electrical tape) and then the 3 wires for the dimmer switch. You connect the small white wire to the posi-tap connector on the high beam. I coiled the wires and installed them behind the steering column in a little space there - hopefully that area doesn't get too hot.

I have not yet found the fuse box on the Diavel to replace the 7.5 Amp fuse for this circuit with a 5 Amp fuse that was provided with the light kit, but that is next on my todo list. I was able to fire up the bike and see the lights work with the dimmer and the high-beam override. Doing a brief ride they do add quite a bit of light at night, but I'd say it's not extra depth vs. the headlights, just more light near the bike. It's definitely more conspicuous now.

Next mod for me will be an HID kit I think.

I just wanted to post my first take on this, any questions please ask, and I'll try and answer and edit this post to be helpful to anyone else considering this mod. Thanks!

Edited by Burbel, 18 February 2013 - 10:27 AM.

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 Burbel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

Here is the light with the included small shoulder washer - you can see how the washer does not fit into the fender - remove this piece and the lights will install with little flex and no damage to the carbon fiber fender.

Attached File(s)

#3 Burbel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Here is the connector after I soldered on two extensions and then shrunk-wrapped both wires together to keep everything safe and secure.

Attached File(s)

#4 Burbel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Here are photos of the lights installed - first at the lowest brightness setting then after with the brightness setting set to maximum.

Attached File(s)

#5 Burbel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

Here is the light installed with no shoulder washers and all of the wiring just waiting to be connected - you could cut wires to get this to fit together with less coiled excess but I wanted to change as little as possible with this install.

Attached File(s)

#6 Burbel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

Headlight with the Posi-tap connector in place.

Attached File(s)

#7 DiavDuc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Diavel Model: Red

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

nice, you will look like judge dredd coming now. are they pointed down like floods or pointed out like hi beams?

#8 Burbel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

View PostDiavDuc, on 18 February 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

nice, you will look like judge dredd coming now. are they pointed down like floods or pointed out like hi beams?

Thanks DiavDuc - I actually have them pointing straight ahead but think I will dial them down just a bit. Was hard to adjust as it was just me and I don't have a stand for the bike to keep it vertical.

#9 Coop

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

From those pics they seem to me to be too bright to be used as DRLs ( daytime running lights).
Are they only on with your high beam?
I know if I saw someone coming towards me with lights glaring like that, I'd give them a burst of my LEDs.

Posted Image

:d

#10 Burbel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostCoop, on 18 February 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

From those pics they seem to me to be too bright to be used as DRLs ( daytime running lights).
Are they only on with your high beam?
I know if I saw someone coming towards me with lights glaring like that, I'd give them a burst of my LEDs.

Posted Image

Now *that* is a light. They go to full brightness if I toggle the high-beam switch; otherwise they go to whatever I set the dimmer switch to. The iPhone seems to make them seem brighter than they are to my eyes; at full dim staring at them doesn't seem quite as much as staring at the headlight. Now if I go HID I know that there will be a difference.

#11 Stagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Diavel Model: No Diavel Yet

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

Great work. I am inspired again. Thank you for paving the way, sorting it all out and documenting it.

I might have to get another kit once I am finished the next round of mods. You do need to angle them down, they are blinding and you will get nuked by Coop.

I have a set from a previous bike and although my first thoughts were the Diavel, there were no kits way back then (April 2011). I have put them on my KTM - although there is no kit for that either but quicker & easier to make brackets for.

They are awesome lights and the aftersales service is fast (same day responses) and with detailed responses. They even shipped to me, free of charge, an alternative bezel to see what I thought. They are the customer service benchmark others should try to match.

#12 Burbel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

View PostStagger, on 18 February 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

Great work. I am inspired again. Thank you for paving the way, sorting it all out and documenting it.

I might have to get another kit once I am finished the next round of mods. You do need to angle them down, they are blinding and you will get nuked by Coop.

I have a set from a previous bike and although my first thoughts were the Diavel, there were no kits way back then (April 2011). I have put them on my KTM - although there is no kit for that either but quicker & easier to make brackets for.

They are awesome lights and the aftersales service is fast (same day responses) and with detailed responses. They even shipped to me, free of charge, an alternative bezel to see what I thought. They are the customer service benchmark others should try to match.

How far down would you angle them? Any easy guide to use? I want them to be visible to other traffic but not blinding.

#13 kster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Diavel Model: Cromo

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

can you post a photo from a bit closer (and lights off) ? Just want to see how they look on a Diavel and what it does to the aesthetics before considering the same

Thank you !

Edited by kster, 18 February 2013 - 06:22 PM.

#14 Stagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Diavel Model: No Diavel Yet

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

View PostBurbel, on 18 February 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

How far down would you angle them? Any easy guide to use? I want them to be visible to other traffic but not blinding.

Try 5 degrees. I used the iHandy Level app for iPhone, i am sure there are others available

#15 Burbel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

View Postkster, on 18 February 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

can you post a photo from a bit closer (and lights off) ? Just want to see how they look on a Diavel and what it does to the aesthetics before considering the same

Thank you !

Tried to get the best photos of them that I could.

Attached File(s)

#16 kster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Diavel Model: Cromo

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:30 AM

that'll do :) Thank you !

Not sure if I want this as you see most of these lights on touring bikes (BMW GS, Triumph Tiger/Explorer)

good luck and ride safe !

#17 Coop

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:33 AM

Thewolf has something like those mounted up on his handlebars. They're much less noticeable mounted up there like that, rather than down on the forks!

#18 Burbel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

View Postkster, on 22 February 2013 - 03:30 AM, said:

that'll do :) Thank you !

Not sure if I want this as you see most of these lights on touring bikes (BMW GS, Triumph Tiger/Explorer)

good luck and ride safe !

From a style point it doesn't fit the lines of the bike, but personally the styling of the Diavel hasn't caught on with me yet, so safety first. :P

Coop - from the lights mounted up high (that was one of the threads I searched and found when looking for hints) - those lights seem much smaller than the Glendas. I wouldn't want to think about how these might look mounted up high like that.

#19 Coop

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

Fair enough. :beer

#20 guvnorlee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

View PostBurbel, on 20 February 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

Tried to get the best photos of them that I could.

Greetings from Brunei

Them Clearwater additions look pretty sweet on the bike :) I haven't checked out the site yet but are the smaller lights we can tuck else where? Just concerned that some gimp will come along and kick em off. Pardon my ignorance but any issue with clearance during ride / in traffic?

Other wise they look cool.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users