380 replies to this topic

#41 Thewolf

Expert Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,194 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:36 AM

View Posttalkriver, on 20 October 2012 - 04:50 PM, said:

Thanks Thewolf for the kindness. My quetions are as follows.

1. Cruise control seems to work like that adjusting rate first with throttle and press starter bottum, the cruise starats then, according to a video "Multistrada 1200 cruise control". Is that right?
2. Does cruise control require continuous mounting WiFi device and connection on the machine? Otherwise just flash the software into ECU?
3. Can TuneBoy work on Windows7?
4. If dedicated O2 sensor of option C is used, can we optimize map ourselves for each exhaust?

Some quick responses based on what I've already discussed:
1. Yes, this is the case however there is the option to add an extra set of buttons/switches to give the +/- variation. Currently there is no switchblock supplied however TuneBoy are going to make one available in due course (they're not yet sure of the cost of this optional extra)
2. The WiFi module is not required to be mounted to the bike except for data/map transfer, everything resides on the ECU (even the datalogger function logs into the spare memory in the ECU)
3. I'll confirm this but I believe the answer is yes (I have a Win7 laptop and a Win8 tablet I'm taking tomorrow so will see if they work)
4. Yes, with a little work... the stock O2 sensors are disabled and the datalogger can record 2 runs with the supplied O2 sensor used in each cylinder (ie do a run and tune on front cylinder and then repeat for rear)

View PostGeneral Lee, on 20 October 2012 - 09:20 PM, said:

Yes.
Not sure about cruise, but I assume that is part of the map. Stock map would probably wipe cruise, just like switching from an SAI tune to non.

I'll clarify both of these but I'm expecting the cruise control will be a tick/check box in the tuning software, the cruise control requires holding the starter button for 3 seconds to turn on so has to be intentionally turned on

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#42 Thewolf

Expert Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:42 AM

View Posttalkriver, on 20 October 2012 - 04:50 PM, said:

Thanks Thewolf for the kindness. My quetions are as follows.

1. Cruise control seems to work like that adjusting rate first with throttle and press starter bottum, the cruise starats then, according to a video "Multistrada 1200 cruise control". Is that right?
2. Does cruise control require continuous mounting WiFi device and connection on the machine? Otherwise just flash the software into ECU?
3. Can TuneBoy work on Windows7?
4. If dedicated O2 sensor of option C is used, can we optimize map ourselves for each exhaust?

Some quick responses based on what I've already discussed with TuneBoy:
1. Yes, this is the case however there is the option to add an extra set of buttons/switches to give the +/- variation. Currently there is no switchblock supplied however TuneBoy are going to make one available in due course (they're not yet sure of the cost of this optional extra)
2. The WiFi module is not required to be mounted to the bike except for data/map transfer, everything resides on the ECU (even the datalogger function logs into the spare memory in the ECU)
3. I'll confirm this but I believe the answer is yes (I have a Win7 laptop and a Win8 tablet I'm taking tomorrow so will see if they work)
4. Yes, with a little work... the stock O2 sensors are disabled and the datalogger can record 2 runs with the supplied O2 sensor used in each cylinder (ie do a run and tune on front cylinder and then repeat for rear)

View Postgogoplata, on 20 October 2012 - 04:36 PM, said:

In for C, but would like to see some reviews/feedback.

Sorry for silly questions but can the original map be backed up and reflashed for any warranty issues.
I assume cruise control can be turned OFF permanently.

View PostGeneral Lee, on 20 October 2012 - 09:20 PM, said:

Yes.
Not sure about cruise, but I assume that is part of the map. Stock map would probably wipe cruise, just like switching from an SAI tune to non.

I'll clarify both of these but I'm expecting the cruise control will be a tick/check box in the tuning software, the cruise control requires holding the starter button for 3 seconds to turn on so has to be intentionally turned on. I'll also be able to give a review shortly, I should have some further feedback after my visit tomorrow. I've used TuneBoy before (on my Speed Triple) and the software was good and the tuning results were great. A mate of mine has the newer version of the software on his Speed Triple and is wrapped with the results

#43 talkriver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:23 AM

Thanks Thewolf,
Your advice is very helpful. I look forward to your additional info.

#44 dicknose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

Ok I'm in for C

And for the non-oz, do they get gst off the price?

#45 Thewolf

Expert Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

View Postdicknose, on 21 October 2012 - 12:57 PM, said:

Ok I'm in for C

And for the non-oz, do they get gst off the price?

Ill check this with them today

#46 Rottweiler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

so wolfy if we get 20 people in then we're looking at around $600 for option C?

#47 Hads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:50 AM

If I wanted to use it for two different diavels, what would I need for each bike? Like sensors etc...

#48 Thewolf

Expert Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:00 AM

Hi guys

Sorry for the late response - I rocked up mid-morning and left at 7 leaving me limited time to setup my bike and pack for the GP

I spent the day with the technical wizard behind TuneBoy and he now has stock maps to suit both North American and European/Australian. A good chunk of time was spent reviewing the differences and thankfully there weren't any that would have an issue (only a few flags here and there such as tail-lights etc). We then ran through a quick dyno tune with a stock exhaust and a slipon and then he put together a proof of concept switchblock for the Cruise Control

The O2 sensor in the kit is only used while tuning, so if you're going to have your bike tuned on a dyno they will be of limited use. Given the limited access to the O2 sensor ports it is best to utilise the access ports to use the O2 sensor in the kit. As a result I'm thinking of leaning towards Option B myself. The results of the dyno tune were more useful for tuning the low and midrange and there was little to be done at the top end

The ride by wire system was interesting to watch on the dyno. The tuning was done by telling the computer where to rev to and the bike just went there and then back to idle on its own. The cruise control is a little weird at first but so far on the trip home seems fine. The switchblock is basically + or - speed buttons and the initial activation is still done by holding the starter button down for 3 seconds after the bike has been started. There will be an option to install a map/tune that doesn't include the cruise control software

I'll have to speak to the office management (rather than the technical guy) about the GST side of things. While I'm checking that I'll confirm the kit requirements for multiple orders. Previous bikes could be done with 1 kit and a license per-bike after that and it looks like this is possible as the WiFi unit can be used on multiple bikes (including multiple different models) and the O2 sensors are only used while tuning

Anyway - time to finish packing so I can leave for the GP in the morning

#49 ReidMcT

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:46 AM

View PostThewolf, on 22 October 2012 - 05:00 AM, said:

Given the limited access to the O2 sensor ports it is best to utilise the access ports to use the O2 sensor in the kit.

I know Wolfy is traveling right now, but if someone could decipher the sentence above, I would appreciate it.

#50 Sonic Duck

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Diavel Model: No Diavel Yet

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:56 AM

View PostReidMcT, on 22 October 2012 - 06:46 AM, said:

I know Wolfy is traveling right now, but if someone could decipher the sentence above, I would appreciate it.

+1

Also, Win7 compatible?

#51 _M_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

Thewolf...Can you clarify with them if they will be producing an application for the Android OS? I'm somewhat interested in Option C, but without an Android phone option for data logging, the O2 sensor wouldn't be of much use to me. I know for sure that I won't be lugging a laptop around on my back trying to log information while going down the road. This would have some impact on whether or not I would be interested in Option C or Option B. I'm also wondering if the guys at TuneBoy have any idea what the Duties/Tariffs are for the USA when purchasing their product.

#52 the.rubber.duc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Diavel Model: Red

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

View Post_M_, on 22 October 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

Thewolf...Can you clarify with them if they will be producing an application for the Android OS? I'm somewhat interested in Option C, but without an Android phone option for data logging, the O2 sensor wouldn't be of much use to me. I know for sure that I won't be lugging a laptop around on my back trying to log information while going down the road. This would have some impact on whether or not I would be interested in Option C or Option B. I'm also wondering if the guys at TuneBoy have any idea what the Duties/Tariffs are for the USA when purchasing their product.

I think the data is logged in the ecu and then downloaded from it. at that point, the log file is imported to the program and it does the adjustments for you at each point to hit your target AFR. create a new file and load to the ecu

....i think

#53 Thewolf

Expert Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

Ok guys, a quick answer, ill backfill what I miss

Win7 is fine. One of the reasons TuneBoy switched to WiFi is so that no drivers are required. The WiFi box also has a USB port

If you have a look at your exhaust there is a screw-out bung just near each O2 sensor. These are strategically positioned so that they're accessible without disassembly and is what I was referring to

Ill confirm about the android app, I know an iPhone app is in the works. Unfortunately I was incorrect about the ECU logging the data for you, at this stage you'll need to carry a laptop in a bag. Ill also check if the iPhone app is likely to log data

Time to get rolling... Breakfast on the way awaits

#54 DiavDuc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Diavel Model: Red

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

Advantages to TuneBoy over a reflash? Cruise control?

#55 Thewolf

Expert Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:22 AM

View PostDiavDuc, on 22 October 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

It depends on what you mean by reflash. The TuneBoy can perform reflashes and install different (or custom) mappings. The intention is the ability to read error codes and reset the service indicators to come in a future software update

#56 Sonic Duck

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Diavel Model: No Diavel Yet

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:34 AM

View PostDiavDuc, on 22 October 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

Watch the vids posted. You're not going to get that flexibility with a reflash.

Which isn't necessary if you're happy with stock mappings. Doesn't appear many people are. I'd like to fix the low/midrange fueling issues. The Shift-Tech O2 thingy was a good improvement as it got rid of the lean surging but I can tell it's a bit off (runs a bit rich at times now).

I'm in for the tuneboy because of the cruise control. That feature puts it at the top of my list. I'm confident places bazzaz and dynojet could add that functionality but imagine they fear our sue happy lawyer ran court system here in the states. :)

#57 Coop

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,779 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

Option B for me please.

:d

#58 Viking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

So potentially interested, but a little leery of the comments around duty fees, etc. Anyone have experience importing a similarly priced item into the US? Should I expect a bunch of additional cost/hassle or what?

#59 Thewolf

Expert Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

View PostRottweiler, on 21 October 2012 - 10:17 PM, said:

so wolfy if we get 20 people in then we're looking at around $600 for option C?

Hi mate. Missed responding to this... Yes, the 20% discount is off the advertised price of the kit. I've listed the prices from the site but will update the first post with the 20% off prices as well

#60 TurboTiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

View PostSonic Duck, on 23 October 2012 - 07:34 AM, said:

Watch the vids posted. You're not going to get that flexibility with a reflash.

Which isn't necessary if you're happy with stock mappings. Doesn't appear many people are. I'd like to fix the low/midrange fueling issues. The Shift-Tech O2 thingy was a good improvement as it got rid of the lean surging but I can tell it's a bit off (runs a bit rich at times now).

I'm in for the tuneboy because of the cruise control. That feature puts it at the top of my list. I'm confident places bazzaz and dynojet could add that functionality but imagine they fear our sue happy lawyer ran court system here in the states. :)

Bazzaz and Dynojet cannot add that functionality as they are piggy back systems.
Tuneboy is a reflash, except you reflash it yourself (or your tuner) and adjust things yourself. It also adds the cruise control program to your ECU.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users