#1 danieljardim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Diavel Model: Red

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:45 AM

Winter storage.

Empty tank? or full tank with gas stabilizer?

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 akaCarioca

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:47 AM

View Postdanieljardim, on 11 October 2012 - 05:45 AM, said:

Winter storage.

Empty tank? or full tank with gas stabilizer?

Ride to Florida... :smoke:

#3 _M_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

I'm thinking full tank with stabilizer. It would probably hurt the engine more to run it completely out of gas than to run stabilizer in the fuel. Plus, what happens if a super nice winter day comes along and you want to go ride?

#4 danieljardim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

View Post_M_, on 11 October 2012 - 08:01 AM, said:

I'm thinking full tank with stabilizer. It would probably hurt the engine more to run it completely out of gas than to run stabilizer in the fuel. Plus, what happens if a super nice winter day comes along and you want to go ride?

I'm asking because manual on diavel suggests empty tank.
On my yamaha suggested full with stabilizer

:confused

#5 Maddog78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

I've always done full tank with stabilizer.

#6 RBD914

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

Never done anything to winterize a bike, never had a problem, just connect a battery optimizer and keep it warm and dry!

#7 ReidMcT

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

Steel tanks store better when full, to reduce rusting. Your diavel has a plastic tank. Empty it for long term storage. Running out of fuel does not hurt the engine.

#8 Viking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

View PostRBD914, on 11 October 2012 - 09:37 AM, said:

Never done anything to winterize a bike, never had a problem, just connect a battery optimizer and keep it warm and dry!

Basically this. Top off the tank, keep the battery charged with a tender, and if you're anal put some cardboard under the wheels.

#9 danieljardim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

View PostViking, on 11 October 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

Basically this. Top off the tank, keep the battery charged with a tender, and if you're anal put some cardboard under the wheels.

Thank you all. I think I'll keep full just in case of a nice day in the winter ride ;)

#10 _M_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

View PostReidMcT, on 11 October 2012 - 09:39 AM, said:

Steel tanks store better when full, to reduce rusting. Your diavel has a plastic tank. Empty it for long term storage. Running out of fuel does not hurt the engine.

Reid...good to know it won't hurt the engine. Do you know if keeping the tank full with stabilizer will hurt the tank any as opposed to emptying it out? I've never owned a bike with a plastic tank before so I'm not sure which direction to go. Running the bike completely out fuel seems like it could be a major PITA and might prevent me from taking advantage of a nice day throughout the winter.

#11 ReidMcT

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

The only drawbak to leaving the tank (and the injection system) filled with stabilized fuel is that after a long time, the fuel will start to turn to varnish. Stabilizer slows the process, but does not stop it. For typical seasonal "winterizing" you should have no worries, especially if you use the new flavor of stabilizer made for ethanol blends.

But if you did want to leave it empty, the easy way is to pump most of the fuel out of the tank, not try to burn it all by riding.

It's also good to get both wheels off the ground, remove the battery, and cover th bike with a breathable, soft cover.

#12 Hypermax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

My tank is now full with VP 93 octane ethanol free race fuel for the winter. Those plastic tanks do not do well with ethanol fuel that sits for a long period. The only countries that report tank deformation are those that use ethanol fuel. Last winter I drained my tank. That was a pita so this year I am trying the race fuel.

#13 Bushyar15

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 480 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

Living in Colorado, my bike can typically be laid up from Dec. through March. I fill up the tank, put stabil in it, run it a few minutes and put it on a battery tender.... Done this with every motorcycle I've owned including plastic tanked ones like the Diavel, Multistrada, and both my RSV1000Rs... Never a problem.....

#14 Hypermax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

Some of the manufacturers that use plastic tanks report no problems with the ethanol fuel. Moto Guzzi for one. Ducati, with their Acerbis tanks, have definitely had their share of deformation and expansion. Some theorize that it is worse in states that have higher humidity. Guido from Shift-Tech (Fla) posted some pictures on Ducati.ms showing some fairly substantial expansion on his Diavel.

Edited by Hypermax, 11 October 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#15 _M_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

View PostBushyar15, on 11 October 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

Living in Colorado, my bike can typically be laid up from Dec. through March. I fill up the tank, put stabil in it, run it a few minutes and put it on a battery tender.... Done this with every motorcycle I've owned including plastic tanked ones like the Diavel, Multistrada, and both my RSV1000Rs... Never a problem.....

That is the way I'm going to handle mine. Spoke with the mechanic at my dealership today and he said that is how I should handle it.

#16 TurboTiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

Either fill the tank up with fuel and add fuel stabilizer, or completely drain the tank.. Ethanol in the fuels will pull water out of the air and into the fuel. Reduce the amount of air in the tank, and this reduces the amount of air and the amount of water in the air that can get in the fuel.
Completely drain the tank of fuel, no issues with ethanol and fuel, plastic tank won't rust like the old metal ones.

#17 Lcarlson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

Speaking of winter charging, does anybody know if there is an adapter that will plug into the proprietary Ducati plug to allow the use a standard quick-disconnect plug and a generic smart charger?

#18 Lcarlson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

My question may be moot. Upon examining the bike more carefully, I noticed what appears to be a standard quick-disconnect down by the belly pan on the left side. Is this connected to the battery? It is, of course, inconceivable that Ducati would not mention such an option in the manual, but maybe they just forgot....

#19 OhDiavelgirl

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

Here is a link to the topic

http://www.diavel-fo...trickle__st__20

#20 Lcarlson

• Members
  • PipPip