air filter access?

25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cropduster_*

• Guests

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:14 AM

g,day everyone,
well, i picked up my new bike! it's awesome, i love it, the dealer less so, but that's a different story.
anyway, i need to access the air filter do i can replace it and the ECU with my new exhaust system, anyone got the skinny on what i need to do?
oh yeah, where's the battery???
cheers!

paul.

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 stubbsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:38 AM

Hey Paul the battery is under the engine behind the front wheel, I think the air filter is under the tank cover.

#3 OhDiavelgirl

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts
  • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:44 AM

Air filter is under the gas tank. The tank cover,side panels,air intake panels,gas cap surround all need to come off. The air filter is under the tank. We used a strap to hold the tank back rather than remove it entirely. Just take your time and it's no big deal.

#4 Guest_cropduster_*

• Guests

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:06 AM

i can see how the side panels come off, the intake panels have hidden screws under the side panels? then the gas cap surround and tank cover in that order?
thanks

#5 Min

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:32 AM

To get the intake pods off you need to take out the little grill part first, 2 small screws in the grill part and 2 screws on the inner part near the fork. On my model the pod was on a locating pin but I believe all the new ones have a screw accessed from the "inside", you should see it once you have the grill part out. The whole pod then needs to be slid forward and up as it is on two locating lugs that lock into the tank cover. Hope that makes sense :)

#6 OhDiavelgirl

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:35 AM

Min
We didn't take the little grilles in the front of the air intakes off. Actually the whole thing is sitting on my dining room table as I write this. We had ten baggies labelled and started taking all the screws out. Side panels then air intake then gas tank cover.

This link should help you
http://www.diavel-fo...__fromsearch__1

#7 JHP

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:00 AM

There is a thread on this with pics. You don't need to take off the gas tank cover. Just the left side panel.

#8 OhDiavelgirl

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

View PostJHP, on 27 August 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

There is a thread on this with pics. You don't need to take off the gas tank cover. Just the left side panel.

I don't see how you can access the air filter without taking the tank cover off and moving the tank out of the way. However I have been known to be wrong on a rare occasion.

#9 Guest_cropduster_*

• Guests

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:25 AM

i can see that, if you remove the LHS cover and intake snorkel you can get to the filter, problem is, i needed to replace the ECU as well so i had open heart surgery going on in the shed.
This is an absolute BASTARD of a job, no wonder the dealer wouldn't do it at PD, lazy buggers

#10 JHP

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

It can be done. I did it easily. Getting to the ecu is way harder.

#11 OhDiavelgirl

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

Well there you go....

#12 916hoon

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Diavel Model: Red

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:15 AM

get a workshop manual.

#13 Guest_cropduster_*

• Guests

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

Anywhere on line I can get one???

#14 JHP

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:11 AM

Ducati Omaha has the manual.

#15 AMPJ8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

It seems that the Air Filter can be accessed through either left or right hand side panels. No need to remove tank. Just the panels and the air intake snorkel then remove and replace the filter and all in back again.

Can someone confirm? has anyone done only the filter replacement?

Thanks in advance,
ampj

#16 Guest_cropduster_*

• Guests

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:25 AM

View PostAMPJ8, on 26 March 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

It seems that the Air Filter can be accessed through either left or right hand side panels. No need to remove tank. Just the panels and the air intake snorkel then remove and replace the filter and all in back again.

Can someone confirm? has anyone done only the filter replacement?

Thanks in advance,
ampj

it's an easy job.
remove the intake grill
remove the intake cover
undo and remove the plastic intake tube that bolts to the airbox with three allen head bolts
replace air filter and reassemble ensuring you use anti seize on all the bolts, especially the ones that screw into the captive nuts in the plastic, like the tank and filter housing because moisture will cause oxide in the thread and next time you try to undo them you will tear the captive nut in the plastic.
cheers.
paul.

#17 AMPJ8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

View Postcropduster, on 27 March 2013 - 01:25 AM, said:

it's an easy job.
remove the intake grill
remove the intake cover
undo and remove the plastic intake tube that bolts to the airbox with three allen head bolts
replace air filter and reassemble ensuring you use anti seize on all the bolts, especially the ones that screw into the captive nuts in the plastic, like the tank and filter housing because moisture will cause oxide in the thread and next time you try to undo them you will tear the captive nut in the plastic.
cheers.
paul.

Perfect! Thanks.
I will get the K&N. in fact I do this because I already have the rexxer map and the dealer said that with a better open filter it would breathe better.

#18 General Lee

Expert Member

• Administrators
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

I just got done moving to a townhome with a bit bigger garage. When I get the unpacking done, I'll be doing how-to vids again now that the weather is warming up. In the meantime, the Duc.ee video I did shows the basic steps to get the fuel cell off.

#19 Sonic Duck

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • Diavel Model: No Diavel Yet

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

View PostGeneral Lee, on 31 March 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

the basic steps to get the fuel cell off.

Why? Popped mine out and reoiled it like stated above. Remove a snorkel and slide it on out.

#20 AMPJ8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

At the end I've got a Pipercross. Another Diavel owner recommended me this one so let's see. Point is that the beauty will breathe better plus the already rexxer map then it will be gooooood :badgerslayer

Final question. So I can just open one side, slide out the OEM filter and slide in the new one, then close right? Just ask because I noticed the filter has these rubber edges and don't know if these fit enough to slide into the filter cavity? Have the manual instructions but out of those pictures it is not possible to tell.

Thanks once more!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users