What driving/ spot lights to get

19 replies to this topic

#1 Hudo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Diavel Model: No Diavel Yet

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:28 AM

Im looking at a couple of LED style driving lights but unsure as to what will give the best results
My HID lights are good but still lack punch down the road for distance.

These are what im currently considering
http://visionxsupers...ewithHarne.aspx

and also looking at these
http://clearwaterlig...oducts2_pp.html

anyone used em or got any better recommendations???

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 Stw

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Diavel Model: Red

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:40 AM

Where are you thinking you want to mount these????

#3 OhDiavelgirl

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts
  • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:47 AM

Here is a link with what another member put on their bike.
http://www.diavel-fo...__fromsearch__1

#4 Hudo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:03 AM

Mounting as yet im not sure, the pics thatdiavel girl linked on the bars look ok, but havnt really decided, was looking at the lower nuts on the headlight.
Thanks for that link diavelgirl, the denali look very similar to the solstice ones dont they.

#5 E350

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:37 AM

saw this on a friends r 1200 gs. they seemed super bright http://www.twistedth...roductview/7254

#6 Wafflefry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:47 AM

If you have bar end mirrors you can probably mount them where the stock mirrors were. I am considering a solution for myself as the standard lighting is very weak. Last night having to run to work with now street lamps had me fairly nervous and just used highbeam on the way home (which I don't like blinding others).

Maybe something like this to enhance with going overkill or sacrificing style:

http://www.revzilla....-hid-spot-beams

Edited by Wafflefry, 21 August 2012 - 08:12 AM.

#7 Montducati

Monster 1200S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

I have Motolight LED caliper mounts, very happy with them.

Attached File(s)

Edited by Montducati, 21 August 2012 - 08:20 AM.

#8 Wafflefry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:35 AM

View PostMontducati, on 21 August 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

I have Motolight LED caliper mounts, very happy with them.

Oh nice! I really like the placement. I may copy you :-)

#9 Montducati

Monster 1200S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

View PostWafflefry, on 21 August 2012 - 08:35 AM, said:

Oh nice! I really like the placement. I may copy you :-)

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. There are two advantages to the caliper mount; one being the look and the other is the triangular pattern the lights make with the headlight. Studies have shown the triangular pattern is the most visible.

BTW, I was the first one to ever install these on a Diavel, if you end up purchasing them and you need some support with the installation give me a shout.

Edited by Montducati, 21 August 2012 - 10:11 AM.

#10 Stagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:06 AM

View PostHudo, on 21 August 2012 - 04:28 AM, said:

Im looking at a couple of LED style driving lights but unsure as to what will give the best results
My HID lights are good but still lack punch down the road for distance.

These are what im currently considering
http://visionxsupers...ewithHarne.aspx

and also looking at these
http://clearwaterlig...oducts2_pp.html

anyone used em or got any better recommendations???

I have a set of the Clearwater Glendas. I removed from my last bike and was going to migrate them, but have chosen not to. There is no specific Diavel kit, however I have been in touch with Clearwater (excellent 5 star customer service BTW) Although they can supply me with mounting plates ($50), it would be on the forks. Given all the focus on minimising unsprung weight I have had second thoughts and will mount them on my other bike instead. These are excellent lights. You can dim them via a remote dial and wire them in so they are on full power on high beam and variable on low beam.

Sorry this doesn't give a solution, I am also keen to see other Diavel options..

Edited by Stagger, 22 August 2012 - 05:06 AM.

#11 Hudo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:45 AM

these two the denali and the solstice look like they are from the same factory,
similar outputs, the denali has interchangable lens filters 10' and 25' so im leaning towards the dual switch version of these,
the glendas dont look powerful enough and the kristas look too large,
the lights need to throw as much forward down the road, im pretty happy with the hid setup i have i just want distance to spot any roos/ cows that
may decide the road is a good spot to stay warm on.
having said that i still havnt found any handle bar clamps that i like either

#12 Montducati

Monster 1200S

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:06 AM

View PostStagger, on 22 August 2012 - 05:06 AM, said:

I have a set of the Clearwater Glendas. I removed from my last bike and was going to migrate them, but have chosen not to. There is no specific Diavel kit, however I have been in touch with Clearwater (excellent 5 star customer service BTW) Although they can supply me with mounting plates ($50), it would be on the forks. Given all the focus on minimising unsprung weight I have had second thoughts and will mount them on my other bike instead. These are excellent lights. You can dim them via a remote dial and wire them in so they are on full power on high beam and variable on low beam.

Sorry this doesn't give a solution, I am also keen to see other Diavel options..

Unsprung weight!! I've had my Motolights installed on the calipers for over 6 months and can tell you there is no discernible difference in the ride (I ride aggressive). These aren't track bikes, they're street bikes, I think only someone like Nicky Hayden could notice a difference in the unsprung weight of an added light.

Edited by Montducati, 23 August 2012 - 06:07 AM.

#13 Sonic Duck

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:52 AM

View PostMontducati, on 21 August 2012 - 09:37 AM, said:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. There are two advantages to the caliper mount; one being the look and the other is the triangular pattern the lights make with the headlight. Studies have shown the triangular pattern is the most visible.

BTW, I was the first one to ever install these on a Diavel, if you end up purchasing them and you need some support with the installation give me a shout.

Third advantage, they don't dip when you get on the brakes. I've been on the Diavel in some good twisties at night and the cutoff of the headlight beam makes visibility pretty poor when going into a hairpin.

I'm going with the Clearwater setup eventually. Anyone's idea that brightness or unsprung weight is a concern with them is laughable. They weight close to nothing and can be blinding bright. Good company to deal with as well. :thumbup

Edited by Sonic Duck, 23 August 2012 - 09:52 AM.

#14 Hudo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:12 PM

View PostSonic Duck, on 23 August 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

Third advantage, they don't dip when you get on the brakes. I've been on the Diavel in some good twisties at night and the cutoff of the headlight beam makes visibility pretty poor when going into a hairpin.

I'm going with the Clearwater setup eventually. Anyone's idea that brightness or unsprung weight is a concern with them is laughable. They weight close to nothing and can be blinding bright. Good company to deal with as well. :thumbup

Good point about the dipping, hadnt thought about that so much, but the weight doesnt matter, i did notice how light the CF duc performance stuff is compared to the original plastic,
but that was a purchase to replace the fairing that i forgot to screw back on and then lost on the first corner from home, some kind soul ran it over for me, i didnt even think to keep the retaining clips so had to scrounge some, word of warning DP parts really do come bare bones.
I mean come on!! the clips are worth about 5c and you dont supply them free??? WTF.

edit and Mont does the fairing cut a bit off your light or is that just the angle of the pic?

Edited by Hudo, 23 August 2012 - 05:18 PM.

#15 zolo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:55 AM

Following this thread with great interest. I love the look of the Denali 2-stage lights, and trying to find a general fork tube slider mounting kit to mount them low on the forks, somewhat like montducati's setup.

Does anyone know of well-made, black fork straps for mounting lights like this?

Zolo

#16 Hudo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:28 AM

Right i have some denail lights in my garage, been fitting them and now cant get the high beam switch to trigger.
To the headlight you have 3 wires, black white and yellow, if i pop the back off and wire onto the white for low beam then trigger to the black in the high beam it works but flickers.
Anyone wired theirs up to switch high low???

#17 JHP

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

Is the yellow the common wire? Wire to the common and the high beam if you want it to come on with the high beam switch.

#18 Hudo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:56 AM

ergh, after much head scratchin, emailed twisted throttle, it would appear i have a faulty control unit, Great service though the part was in the mail the same day i sent the email.

#19 Hudo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:23 AM

Revival, i have been away for a few months, the lithium battery i installed started up first turn with no trickle charger required, much impressed and i spent my first day home mounting up the lights, have been using them for the last 3 weeks and they are pretty good,
they throw a lot of light in the immediate front but im still not happy with the distance they light up down the road, I am still trying to find a better alternateive "spot" light
Wolf if your out there what are you running??

#20 Hudo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:32 AM

how do i attach an image?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users