Zard Fat Duc Exhaust

25 replies to this topic

#1 Falkor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Diavel Model: Red

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:08 AM

Just got my bike back last night after having some Denali lights, a set of Fat Ducs, and a Zard slip-on installed, so thought I would chime in.

I went with the "race" version. My reason for changing from the stock exhaust was that I found the heat coming off the cat was just too painful in the warmer weather. I was really concerned about how loud the pipes would be without the cat, but I'm pleased to say it's not a problem. They are only slightly louder than stock, and at 120 kph I will not need the earplugs I thought I would have to buy.

The sound is fantastic!! It's a deep, throaty sound, not too much louder than stock, but with a very noticeable bass note to it. Sitting on the bike, it's a sound you can actually feel, not as a vibration, but just kind of a deep, rolling rumble. Pretty hard to describe, but it feels wonderful. Really transmits a sense of the power in the engine. Added to all this pleasure is the fact that in stop and go traffic I am now no longer cooking my leg!!

Along with the Zard pipes I added a set of Fat Ducs, which have done wonderful things for smoothing out the ride. The low speed surging was not particularly an issue as far as I was concerned - I just looked at it as part of the character of the bike - but I must say it is nice to have that gone. Along with it went some of the character I did like - most of the burble and fart on deceleration is now gone - but it has been replaced by the lovely bass note of the Zards, so it's a fair trade-off.

All in all, I achieved exactly what I wanted, the neighbors won't hate me, and the bike looks and sounds awesome. I couldn't be happier. Will post a pic as soon as I can get some later today.

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 OhDiavelgirl

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts
  • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:05 AM

Look forward to seeing the pictures.

#3 Falkor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

I ordered them from Marco at Eurocorsa in Toronto. He's the Canadian distributor for Zard.

I've been trying to post a couple of pics I took on my iPhone, but so far not having any luck. Will transfer them to the computer later and post then, unless anyone can tell me how to sort this out on my phone.

#4 Min

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

You need to use an app called Tapatalk on your iPhone or iPad to load photos, very easy to use and a cool app for viewing the forum.
Glad to hear your happy with the Zard, I had narrowed the choice down to it or the Remus and just ordered the Remus this week.

#5 Falkor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:34 PM

Ok, thanks for the info about Tapatalk. Am using it now, so we'll see how this goes.

The first two pics are of the bike with the Zard mounted. Please excuse the dirt, I was just picking it up after the work was done and I had ridden it to the shop in the pouring rain. It's cleaner now!

The last pic shows the Denali lights mounted.

Will try to get some video of the bike running if the storms will stop.

Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339025537.128931.jpg (96.86K)
Number of downloads: 187

Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339025551.255720.jpg (102.75K)
Number of downloads: 227

Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339025566.071385.jpg (90.32K)
Number of downloads: 194

#6 Falkor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:12 PM

Ok, so if I've done this right, here's a link to the video I've posted on YouTube. You can hear the Zard "race" slip-on exhaust and also see the look of the Denali "D2" lights. I filmed this on my cellphone, which doesn't truly do justice to the sound, but it gives a general idea of what it's like.

#7 Falkor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

We looked at other locations for installing the lights, but were a bit limited because I wanted a dynamic mount instead of a fixed mount. i.e. I wanted them to turn with the bars/forks and not just point forward from the body. I also wanted a reasonably high mount with the lights pointed slightly down. It eliminates the shadows from the dips and holes in the road. With a lower mount the light doesn't fill the holes and you still get black spots that you can't see into. As for projection, they're amazing! Now when I turn onto my street I can completely light up not only the road but also the fronts of all the houses a block away! Running in the daytime, they really stand out to oncoming traffic, so they can't say they didn't see you.

#8 ScottM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

Falkor:

Thanks for the post. I am really intrested in those Denali lights. I think they are a great safety feature even in the daytime. With those lights, it seems less likely that someone would make a left turn in front of you.

I read that you had them installed but I wonder if you or anyone could comment on how difficult it is for an owner to do.

#9 Falkor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

One of the techs at the dealership where I bought the bike is amazing at doing custom metal fabricating and he made a set of mounting brackets for the lights. If you can do the metalwork or have someone who can, I understand that wiring the light harness was relatively easy to do. I'll post a close-up of one of the brackets he made when I get home from my ride tonight.

#10 JHP

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:12 AM

I like the concept of the Zard but it looks like the tail end needs to be higher so it will follow the line of the wheel. Is there a way to adjust it?

Edited by JHP, 08 June 2012 - 04:13 AM.

#11 DEVL-01

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:34 AM

View PostJHP, on 08 June 2012 - 04:12 AM, said:

I like the concept of the Zard but it looks like the tail end needs to be higher so it will follow the line of the wheel. Is there a way to adjust it?

i was thinking the same thing, theres room there to do it ,so with a slightly longer link pipe say would only need 5-10mm extra , this would cause the can to raise up at the back as its pivoting at the mount and the angle is not changing too much so there may be enough give in the link pipes. Rather than seating the link pipe all the way in to the header pipe leave it out a few mm and see how it lines up ?Probabally needs a bit more angle on the can as well if that doesnt work ,and the hole in the exhaust bracket may also be slightly off , no big deal though!

Edited by devl-01, 08 June 2012 - 04:47 AM.

#12 Dean Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:42 AM

Love the sound and look of the Zard and the those lights are what I'm after too. What's happened to the colour of the pipes though as they look grey ?

Thanks for your post too, great stuff.

#13 Steve95628

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:56 PM

Falkor, I really like the look of the exhaust and your bike. A couple of questions... Did the black pipes come with the exhaust? Were you able to install yourself? Does this exhaust require any ecu changes?

Thanks!

#14 Falkor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

Here are the pics I promised of the brackets that were made for the lights. Sorry it took me so long to post them.

Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339209091.735365.jpg (67.7K)
Number of downloads: 38

Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339209111.545733.jpg (66.22K)
Number of downloads: 25

Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339209127.916726.jpg (63.07K)
Number of downloads: 24

Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339209146.228849.jpg (64.69K)
Number of downloads: 29

Attached File(s)

#15 Falkor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

I had the pipes ceramic coated in a charcoal grey eggshell finish to help aid in heat dissipation. I chose the grey instead of black because I wanted to highlight the curving exhaust and felt that black would fade them into the background too much.

As far as the ECU is concerned, that's where the Fat Ducs came in. Added two Fat Ducs in place of the stock O2 sensors. Bike now runs vastly smoother, no more surging, getting much better mileage and ECU didn't need any changes.

I love the Denali lights. My husband always took the lead with his Denalis when we rode at night since the lighting on the Diavel was so bad. Now I don't mind riding lead 'cause I can finally see the road!

#16 DEVL-01

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:38 PM

nice work on the lights , very neat job! They look killer.

#17 Coop

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:39 AM

You're bike looks great (for a red one, lol) Falkor.
Just one thing, have you considered removing the frame stickers? They seem to be really noticeable on the red frame.

Chicken strips? What chicken strips?

#18 juicyBanana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:38 AM

View PostFalkor, on 07 June 2012 - 04:40 PM, said:

One of the techs at the dealership where I bought the bike is amazing at doing custom metal fabricating and he made a set of mounting brackets for the lights. If you can do the metalwork or have someone who can, I understand that wiring the light harness was relatively easy to do. I'll post a close-up of one of the brackets he made when I get home from my ride tonight.

Falkor,
Can you post or PM your dealer's contact? I am interested on the mounts and bracket to install the Denali. Looks exactly what I'm looking for.

#19 Aguila

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

Falkor
Sorry to show my ignorance. What are Fat Ducs?
Did you have the guys at GP install teh exhaust?
How long did it take for the ceramic coating to be done?
You told me that you needed to take the pipes back for recoating. Did they do it for free?
Thanks

#20 Duca

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

How is the Zard for a passenger? Would the passenger's foot be right at the exhaust end?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users