Diavel Stalling

744 replies to this topic

#1 mjkingmike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:23 PM

I have 200 miles on my Diavel Black Carbon.It has quit running 7 times.When you are comming up to red light down shifting about 2000 rpm it quit.Anybody have the same problem.Called Ducati and they said that they never have seen this.They also said take it to the dealer and stop riding the bike.Any thoughts guys.

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 Stagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Diavel Model: No Diavel Yet

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:51 PM

mike, on 18 April 2011 - 02:23 PM, said:

I have 200 miles on my Diavel Black Carbon.It has quit running 7 times.When you are comming up to red light down shifting about 2000 rpm it quit.Anybody have the same problem.Called Ducati and they said that they never have seen this.They also said take it to the dealer and stop riding the bike.Any thoughts guys.

Hi, 7 times seems a lot. Mine has stalled once, in 1100 KM (600+ miles). I did raise it with my dealer, had had heard of it before.

#3 Rhett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,260 posts
  • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:06 PM

Let's hop this is not another "issue" with a Ducati and stalling problems.....

Anyone else see this happen to them?

#4 The Devil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:24 PM

It's happened to me twice in the past 640 miles.

#5 Baz Turd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:30 PM

Do you think it might have something to do with the octane rate of the fuel? i think fuel in the UK has a higher octane rate than the usa? have the bikes been set up for european standard fuel, or am i talking bollocks?

i might well be talking crap as I know Victory bikes have a similar fuel problem to the one described by Mike in the Uk.

#6 Jariva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:45 AM

Mike, what is your idle RPM? It should be possible to read the idle RPM using the digital RPM indication function.

#7 CJK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:46 AM

Baz Turd, on 18 April 2011 - 11:30 PM, said:

Do you think it might have something to do with the octane rate of the fuel? i think fuel in the UK has a higher octane rate than the usa? have the bikes been set up for european standard fuel, or am i talking bollocks?

Actually, the differing octane ratings are due to different methods of computing the number posted at the pump. Europe (and most of the rest of the world) uses the Research Octane Number (RON), which is about 4-5 points higher than the AKI ((R+M)/2) used in the US and Canada. Thus, premium gas here is 92 octane, while in Europe it's 95+.

The biggest difference here, it seems to me, is the addition of ethanol to most of our fuels. (Don't get me started on the ridiculous subsidies our government gives to the ethanol industry.) This raises octane ratings but reduces the total energy available in a given unit of fuel. Grr.

#8 Haku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:48 AM

I've done 800 miles on mine and not stalled once.

Hmmm 7 times.... Mike, you state that Ducati advised to you take it to the dealer. Have you taken it to the dealer? If so what did they say?

#9 BobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:53 AM

Mike actually brought this up in another thread & a couple of us responded there. Mine stalled 4 or 5 times so I took it to my dealer last Friday. When I originally picked up the bike on 4/2 they said Ducati had just released a software update & they installed that for me. On Friday I was told they contacted Ducati & there was yet another newer update so they installed that one for me. As usual they have no idea what the update was for but maybe Ducati is just trying to stamp out the bugs as they come up without causing any panic. I changed my riding style a bit after it first happened when I discovered it only happened when I completely closed the throttle when slowing for a stop. The bike would get eerily quiet and when I pulled in the clutch it had died. Now I don't close the throttle completely before I pull in the clutch. I'm hoping the problem will go away either through putting more hours on the bike (315 miles now) or maybe the software update did the trick. Time will tell I guess. I've tested it a couple of times since Friday & so far no problems but it never happened every time anyway. I'll keep testing it until I'm convinced it's not going to stall anymore. Sucks when it happens in heavy traffic.

#10 Mario IT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Diavel Model: Red

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:02 AM

BobC, on 19 April 2011 - 07:53 AM, said:

Mike actually brought this up in another thread & a couple of us responded there. Mine stalled 4 or 5 times so I took it to my dealer last Friday. When I originally picked up the bike on 4/2 they said Ducati had just released a software update & they installed that for me. On Friday I was told they contacted Ducati & there was yet another newer update so they installed that one for me. As usual they have no idea what the update was for but maybe Ducati is just trying to stamp out the bugs as they come up without causing any panic. I changed my riding style a bit after it first happened when I discovered it only happened when I completely closed the throttle when slowing for a stop. The bike would get eerily quiet and when I pulled in the clutch it had died. Now I don't close the throttle completely before I pull in the clutch. I'm hoping the problem will go away either through putting more hours on the bike (315 miles now) or maybe the software update did the trick. Time will tell I guess. I've tested it a couple of times since Friday & so far no problems but it never happened every time anyway. I'll keep testing it until I'm convinced it's not going to stall anymore. Sucks when it happens in heavy traffic.

It occurred 3 times in 900km. I thought I was the only one! In any case I will talk to the dealer as I finish the break in.

#11 DeSabre

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:10 AM

For me, it has happened ~5 times in 700 mi. Generally, full throttle off, ~2-2.5k rpm, between either downshift from 3-2, or 2-1st. Happening less frequent in last 200mi. When I took to the bike in for 600mi service, the service tech did say that similar issue was seen with some MS. Scheduled to go back in a couple of weeks for extended diagnostics, as they could not replicate the problem during the 600mi service. Hopefully, this will subside as the motor loosens up.

#12 blue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 12:44 PM

This happened to me 3 times (400 km so far) always in city and definitely it is connected with engaging clutch.

#13 Stagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:19 PM

That is interesting - mine definitely happened as I was changing down at low speed - enaging the clutch.

Déjà vu - and a different manufacturer, but a similar issue around clutches and the ECU.

My other bike (Yamaha Roadliner), has a common problem with faulty clutch switches. This switch cuts the motor when you engage the clutch and the side stand is down. When the switch develops a fault, it sends a signal to the ECU that causes a backfire when you engage the clutch (when riding). The quick fix is to disconnect it and the backfiring goes away instantly. The only side effect is the bike will engage a gear with the side stand down. It has been suggested that the ECU is too sensitive to that input.

I do not know if we have such a switch on the Diavel, it just made me wonder when you said it was the clutch that triggered it for you, and I know for me it did too.

#14 Malcvtr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Diavel Model: Red

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:44 PM

This was a very common problem with the Honda VTR1000 (Firestorm in the UK). I had one back in 2002 and it would stall quite frequently whenever I slowed down to stop. The advice from "those who knew" was as follows:

1. make sure the idle is at 1200 rpm
2. don't overfill the petrol tank (something about vacuum I think...)
3. be patient, 'cos they stop doing it once the engine has loosened up

They were right and after a few weeks it stopped and never happened again. Hopefully, it'll be the same with the Diavel for those who are having problems.

#15 Diavelingduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:07 PM

Ducati Multistrada same stalling Problems I read this on Ducati News
If there’s a major quirk or flaw to show up in the internet forums, we’ve experienced it with our 2010 MTS 1200 – so please, no one create any new fictions about the bike. The keyless ignition system is only intermittently recognizing the fob, we don’t dare use the bar lock after nearly being stranded in San Ysidro (the US’s dodgier conjoined-twin to Mexico’s Tijuana), there’s been stalling on deceleration and more concerning the front suspension’s been acting up leading the normally sublime MTS to require a forceful turning before it flops and wallows into the corners.

There are recalls for nearly all these issues and more.

#16 ssassc1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:35 PM

BobC, on 19 April 2011 - 07:53 AM, said:

Although not stalling. Mine also has a fueling issue. It runs rough on light throttle below 3K rpm.
Only did it when I got the termi and new ecu fitted
Strange?

#17 Paulm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:51 PM

Had the same thing happen today. Down shifting at red light, approximately 2000 rpm the bike shut down. Just went over 500 miles. I'll bring it up with dealer at first service.

#18 aviscomi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:21 PM

ssassc1, on 19 April 2011 - 04:35 PM, said:

Although not stalling. Mine also has a fueling issue. It runs rough on light throttle below 3K rpm.
Only did it when I got the termi and new ecu fitted
Strange?

Actually its not that strange; I just dropped my Diavel off at the dealer to have the Termi, ECU & A/C fitted. He told me that he can't do it because there's an issue with the CPU and the "fix" should be available by May. I left the bike there, it needed its 1st service (600 mile).

#19 Converted

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:50 AM

This fueling problem is more common than you think. I had the same problem on my 2009 K1300GT. The engine would stall regularly as I downshifted to a stop. An ECU re-program cured that. I was riding the Diavel home at 3 AM this morning and the engine stalled on the 3-2 downshift somewhere between 3 & 4k RPM. I hope my dealer already has the new software. It seems the transition between the closed throttle and the idle circuit is lean (probably for emissions reasons) and allows the engine to stall. A scary thing at 3 AM on the highway with no front running lights!

#20 BobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:50 AM

Well I have about 500 miles on it now & it still stalls. Took it in 2 weeks ago for this problem & they did an ECU update but that apparently didn't fix it. It goes in this Friday for the first service & I'm hoping they can do something about it. Can't live with this problem forever.
Anyone else still having this issue?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users