#1 reganc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

Hi,

I know this has been covered a number of times and everyone has their opinions on them but i want to get a backrest for my bike on the rare occasions when my wife wants to go for a spin.

i reached out to corbin and they are not going to manufacture one to go with the new seat they have produced, so are there any manufactures out there producing them ideally it would be something that i can remove pretty easily as i myself am not a fan but if it keeps wifey happy then it's a sacrifice i am willing to make.

i have used the search function but apart from people fabricating their own (which i do not have the skill set for) then i do not see any options

thanks

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 Roadking1230

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

Put your wife through her test, buy her a bike of her own and that way you get to enjoy your Diavel as it was intended. If you do have to buy and use a backrest, then I am deeply deeply sorry. :p:

#3 reganc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

ha thanks road king and that has crossed my mind but she will not ride a bike on her own.

SO back to looking for a backrest

#4 Diavel_in_MPLS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

I'm looking for this as well. I've seen the threads here but none really solve the issue. What I've done in the past is to use a tail bag as the backrest but with a pillion this would require a rack and I'm not seeing those either (other than the fabricated ones on this site).

Something quick release would be awesome but if Ducati is going to use the word "Touring" in any of their Diavel marketing then they really need a solution to carry a pillion and some luggage.

Oh yea... And I've seen the Ventura racks and they remind me of a Kawasaki LTD 440 - great bikes but fugly racks.

Edited by Diavel_in_MPLS, 06 April 2012 - 12:26 PM.

#5 Slide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

I have it on good authority that this has been passed on to Ducati reps so maybe they'll have a solution eventually, as has the need for proper side bags. I for one would also use a backrest only when the wife comes along.

And teaching her to ride is not the answer, at least not for me. Did that years ago, bought her a ninja, then ruined every ride. She couldn't keep up, being a newbie, so I just rode way too slow and had to worry about her in my mirrors all the time. No fun for sure. I was not at all disappointed when she decided to go back to pillion.

#6 Diavel_in_MPLS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

My bad... I totally forgot about this thread:

http://www.diavel-fo...r-luggge-racks/

I think it looks "ok" for my taste but perhaps it could grow on me - for $270 US it better :-)

#7 Diavelish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

I am in the exact same boat. Traded a bike with a Corbin Dual Tourer and the wife loved riding... now I have a bike with a far more comfy seat (she loves the Diavel seat) but no possibility of backrest, and she has zero interest in riding her own bike.

If the pull out handle were made of substantial steel (it is not), we could simply drill a mounting hole in there, and modify a backrest to lock in it when it is pulled out, then remove it easily. But the material isn't strong enough to hold any real weight.

Also haven't yet torn down the bike to find how far the frame goes back into the tail to see where a solid mounting point is, to fab up a backrest the slides into place after lifting the seat for access.

Frustrating...

#8 reganc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

View PostDiavelish, on 06 April 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

If the pull out handle were made of substantial steel (it is not), we could simply drill a mounting hole in there, and modify a backrest to lock in it when it is pulled out, then remove it easily. But the material isn't strong enough to hold any real weight.

this seems like the most logical choice and the one i would like to go with, regarding the weight i don't think my wife would necessarily be leaning back on it but for her it is something that she likes to know is there and would prefer it to the grab rail.

i am just surprised that there is a market for this and nobody has yet to produce it.

#9 Diavelish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

If we could get someone to fab the same exact handle in steel, AND if we could see if the connection point were sturdy enough... this is the simplest option that doesn't disrupt the lines of the bike, or require modding a seat.

#10 Slide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

I want one too. Are you sure the piece that is there now isnt up to the task? It seems that if it is designed to withstand a passenger holding onto it to support themselves that perhaps it would be suitable. At least as a "comfort" if not to actually lean back on as mentioned.

#11 Brass Knuckles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Diavel Model: Red

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

Bumping this thread up for any updates...anyone have any updates?

#12 NastyDiavel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

I was at the shop today and there was an AMG in there with a custom backrest being installed. Basically, they took the grab bar and put a hole in it right down the shaft and entered a pretty sturdy custom made back rest and secured it with a quick release mechanism. With the Corbin seat and the custom upholstery for the backrest it looks like it might turn out pretty good. I didn't get to see it finished but asked them to send me some pics when they get done. The owner wanted it designed for the rare times his wife rides with him, but he didn't want it to be a time consuming process to install or uninstall and didn't want to change the natural look.

I'll post some pics when they get them to me.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by NastyDiavel, 05 May 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#13 Toeknee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

FYI, the strada's backrest can now be ordered to fit non strada models.

#14 LFLR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:23 AM

This is what I did a while back before the Strada existed.

I posted it here then: http://www.diavel-fo...__fromsearch__1

Not sure if this link will work, but you can do a search for Corbin seat backrest and it should come up. I posted pictures with it.

LFLR.

#15 NastyDiavel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

Went to pick up my bike two weeks ago and there was an AMG that was having a custom back rest upholstered. Well, the shop sent me some of these pics. Custom back rest on an AMG. They put a hole down the middle of the passenger grab handle, dropped a sturdy pole into it with a locking mechanism then upholstered the back rest to match the AMG seat. They even added the AMG logo on the backrest. I saw the seat prior to it begin upholstered and it looked good and was sturdy. Simply take the pin out and the back rest slides out in seconds.

Posted Image
Posted Image
If you look towards the bottom of this photo you can see where the bar enters the grab handle.
Posted Image

#16 Diavel_in_MPLS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

This is exactly what I'm looking for. It would be killer if you could even mount a backpack or a soft pack to hold a helmet or something like that.

The fact that it's sturdy and can come off as quick as pulling out the grab bar makes this a very desirable item for me.

If anyone has thoughts on purchasing this as an after-market product, let me know. I'll be on the list.

Thanks!

Update... Actually, I'm going to go the Corbin Backrest route as LFLR had done: http://www.diavel-fo...__fromsearch__1

Looks clean and strong and I found the backrest for $66 on ebay. Throw away if it sucks - or, I'll put it on my lawnmower

Edited by Diavel_in_MPLS, 09 May 2013 - 10:32 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users