13 replies to this topic

#1 JWC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:21 AM

Hey there Diavel Users!

Just started out practicing wheelies on my carbon red, letting it roll in fist gear and then blipping throttle full open does the trick ! :fact Just not enough courage yet, to do the same with slipping clutch to pop a wheelie at any speed. Anyone with some more experience with rpm's and ideal power band to pull the wheelie on the Diavel ?

Cheers,

JW

If you are in control, you are just not going fast enough!

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 Jaelum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Diavel Model: No Diavel Yet

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:31 AM

Okay, I'll start out...

First of all, GO SLOWLY in the learning process. This bike has a huge powerband and it absolutely will loop you. And your quote at the end of your messages doesn't inspire confidence :)

While you can wheelie with traction control on (at least at level 1, I haven't tried 2, but it WONT work at 6), to really sustain the wheelie you need to have TC off. With all the inherent dangers therein. The reason for this is that the traction control compares front wheel spin to back wheel spin - if the back is moving faster than the front it assumes the back is breaking loose and cuts engine power.

You probably know this, but ALWAYS have your foot on the rear brake and be prepared to use it before an attempt. Hitting the rear brake will slam the front back down, which isn't good for your forks, but better than looping it!

With the TC off, just whacking the throttle will put the front into the air in first or second. If you want to sustain it a bit, though, you'll have to preserve a bit of your powerband. So in first, the best method is what you described - rev up to 4 or 5 k, shut the throttle to compress the front forks, then open up. Once the front comes up, you can feather the throttle up and down as needed to keep it up until you hit the rev limiter or you choose to sit it down. Because of the wide wheel base, it takes a bit more "ooomph" to get the front up than to keep it up, which can be a little tricky, so take it slowly and learn the feel and sound of it.

In second, I prefer clutch-ups. At around 4.5 or 5k, do the following all in one fluid motion: pull the clutch, open the throttle, drop the clutch. You can also pull back on the handlebars a bit, but at least don't be actively pushing on them (I had a tendancy to hunch over the bars in anticipation while learning and it makes it much more difficult). Now, BE CAREFUL HERE: the powerband in second isn't as sharp as first, but it is much longer! So it will pull up, and then when the wheel is in the air you'll still be finding more power which makes looping much easier. Again, go slowly, doing small wheelies over and over getting used to the feel rather than going for the Knievel right off the bat.

Here is a video that was posted in a previous thread on this: . Small wheelies, but you can hear what the engine is doing. Notice how important it is for the whole process to be fluid.

Also from that thread was a quote from General Lee that helped me a lot: "7k isn't necessary. It's all about timing and weight shift. If you don't slip the clutch just right and give enough throttle, it won't come up. It has to be one fluid motion. Off throttle + lean forward (loads the front so the springs help pop the bike up on acceleration) -> slip clutch + throttle + lean back with a nice tug on the bars as the clutch goes back out. OR you can try goosing the throttle and slipping the clutch, but I forecast you'll have a similar 'OH SHIT' moment as me on the 1098 (in third gear, no less)."

Good luck, and be careful!

#3 JWC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

Wow, thanks, just what, I needed ! Just came back in from another round of diavel riding :badgerslayer
And did some more practice, still feels like waking the beats when lift off occurs, and I already have the 'oh shit' moment with ordinary power wheelies.
I just can't seem the hang of slipping clutch and whacking the throttle simultaneously, I think I stay with the power wheelies until comfortable.
I do this in sport mode, is it easier with all off, because i does allow full lift off ? I did not had the system kick in yet.
Thanks again for sharing your experience!! :+1

#4 Stw

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Diavel Model: Red

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

Motorcycling is nominally a 2 wheel exercise... I, for one, intend to keep it that way.....Bad things happen when your bike becomes a unicycle....

#5 thediavelwearsprada

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

I, for one, have nothing constructive to add, lol, except admiration for your 'diavel'-may-care attitude. to each his own., I'm all for a bit of crazyness, I've jumped from aeroplanes, jumped into ice covered lakes and don't consider myself lacking in bottle. But my diavel will stay firmly on two. Good luck!! :biggrin :dance

#6 JWC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

Maybe I am crazier than you are, most helicopter pilots are :nos Maybe that Explains why I want to get airborne on my Diavel, reaching for the skies :yahoo

#7 Coop

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

Lol
Minimum of two wheels on the tarmac for me too!
Some of my mates do crazy wheelies, like popping it up at over two hundred clicks and wheeling for ages!!!!!!! Good to watch, but not for me.

#8 mntbighker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

If you want a REAL challenge, pull the front wheel up about 5 or 6 inches and then let it begin to settle. Just as it nearly touches down you hammer the throttle and with that massive rear contact patch if you do it right the bike will actually leap forward off the ground completely. It is quite an impressive sight to see. I caught a guy doing it on a GSXR near my house and he cleared a full lane crossing the intersection. Of course you will destroy your final drive, sprockets and chain in the process. If you wanna play, you gotta pay. :vroom

:nos

#9 AlbertoMESELL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Diavel Model: Cromo

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

View PostStw, on 18 March 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

Motorcycling is nominally a 2 wheel exercise... I, for one, intend to keep it that way.....Bad things happen when your bike becomes a unicycle....

Totally agree.

I find a better adrenaline-burner pushing the limits on a race track or on a twistie road.....2 wheels on the ground, and a knee close to it ;-)

Edited by AlbertoMESELL, 18 March 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#10 tate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

wheelied over backwards at 55 mph. in 1974 still have the roadrash :blush

#11 markgraham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

What level was your traction control set on? Apparently it wasn't set high enough? What bike were you riding?

View Posttate, on 18 March 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

#12 Stw

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

View Postmarkgraham, on 18 March 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

What level was your traction control set on? Apparently it wasn't set high enough? What bike were you riding?

Errr... Traction Control in 1974??? I dont think so :hammerhead

#13 JWC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:53 PM

View Posttate, on 18 March 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

like Jaelum said always your foot on THE rear brake, for safety, it Will slam your wheel down!
Still doing power (mini) wheelies in frist gear in sport mode, dtc in 1.

#14 General Lee

Expert Member

• Administrators
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:39 AM

View PostStw, on 18 March 2012 - 08:28 PM, said:

Errr... Traction Control in 1974??? I dont think so :hammerhead

It's called right wrist.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users