#1 Stagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Diavel Model: No Diavel Yet

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:27 AM

Hi All
I have been trying for sometime to solve the closed loops sensors without resorting to any of the resistor based solutions. I can report that these 2 reflashes work. I tried both today. My 02 sensors are unplugged (no errors) and my exhaust flap is now permamanetly fully open. The result - instantly much smoother below 3500 rpm.

You will be able to use a power commander across the entire range when it is commercially available.

Option 1
http://www.cjsracing.co.uk/
You need to send Chris your or a spare ECU with the latest factory flash. You must organise the shipping both ways.
No changes to the fuel map, both flap and 02 turned off. Senors need to be unplugged.
We suspect that a Factory reflash will wipe it out?
Lower cost - but you need to send your ECU unless you live near Bristol UK.

Option 2.
http://www.rexxer.eu/e_produkte.cfm
Rexxer Promap
Your ECU is backed up and reflashed while it is in the bike. The reflash is specific to the serial number of your ECU. Your ECU can be reflashed if there are Rexxer updates. Senors need to be unplugged.
Fuel re mapped to suit a slip on. Unlikely to need a PC V unless you are chasing map prefection.
More expensive and you need to find a Rexxer dealer close by.

I am running the Rexxer and will put it on a dyno at some stage.

No work around is perfect and this might not appeal to those that want to able to take a cheaper resister based solution on and off themselves. A reflash is the purest way for me. It is binary - the 02 and Flap are just turned off not "maniplulated".

Hope this helps.

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 mintpaul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:40 AM

Thanks for the update, I'm thinking about going the rexxer way with my Slip-on.

I have also read that the guys with Multistradas are very happy with the Rexxer flash.

Have you done the filter with the slip-on can with the Rexxer?

My Austin racing can is open and she "snaps, crackles and pops" on decel running down hill after been hard on the throttle.
I was showing off at a mates place revving to show off the sound and she spit a couple of blue flames :)
Will the Rexxer help with this?

Edited by mintpaul, 17 March 2012 - 05:42 AM.

#3 mintpaul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:52 AM

Hey Stagger,

Thank you for putting all the hard yards in with the ECU reflashing and keeping all of us up to date with your findings.

Cheers

Paul

#4 Stagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

No filter change. I did discuss it, as I was going to do that too. However I have been chasing smoothness and lower running temperatures rather than more HP. The advice was that for those crieria he would have been taking my money for nothing.

In terms of the crack and pop - it may not, it will depend how close the profile of your slip on is to the QD system they based the map on. Rexxer is from the company that sells the QD slip on.
I have the CW with DB killer and it has never really popped so I can not give a before and after comparison.

#5 mintpaul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

Have you noticed lower running temp while running around town?

Cheers

#6 mydiavel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

If you talk to the rexxer agents or importer AU the number I used is 0423322175 and spoke to gary he told me they can build a one off map for your bike to suit your pipe if needed but he siad you will need to have the rexxer loaded in your bike,for this they will then need a Dyno print out of the Air Fuel reading ,H.P reading and torque reading ,I have had mine flashed and was o.k l didnt need have do do this for mine as has the termi he said the map has been designed around the Q.D and termi sytsm ,to me it has made a considerable notice to the whole of the rev range especially around the 3500 rpm no more surging or snatching it really is so much nicer and user friendly in traffic , my bum feels more power in the lower to md range but have yet to tap it out :cool .I have the termi on mine.they removed the termi ECU and fitted back the std one.Temperature is down by 8 degrees as was always running the high 96deg and somtimes 102 in traffic .I myself am very happy with the out come.

#7 mntbighker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

I can understand the flap mod but can anyone tell me the point to removing the O2? If the injection system is designed to be closed loop and control mixture with O2 sensor feedback, I don't get how removing them helps anything? Unless your goal is to maximize emissions and run well outside the useful range the sensors are capable of reading. This seems like a giant leap back 20 years. Of course I also don't get why Ducati can't make a closed loop system run smoothly so there you go.

#8 Shamone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Diavel Model: Red

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

View Postmntbighker, on 18 March 2012 - 11:50 AM, said:

I can understand the flap mod but can anyone tell me the point to removing the O2? If the injection system is designed to be closed loop and control mixture with O2 sensor feedback, I don't get how removing them helps anything? Unless your goal is to maximize emissions and run well outside the useful range the sensors are capable of reading. This seems like a giant leap back 20 years. Of course I also don't get why Ducati can't make a closed loop system run smoothly so there you go.

The 02 sensor is only used at idle and low throttle openings to enable the bike to pass emission levels. As soon as you open the throttle by any degree a predefined map is used. The benefit in disabling is better running under part throttle.

#9 mntbighker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

View PostShamone, on 18 March 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

The 02 sensor is only used at idle and low throttle openings to enable the bike to pass emission levels. As soon as you open the throttle by any degree a predefined map is used. The benefit in disabling is better running under part throttle.

But ideally the best plan would be keeping the sensors AND improving the rough running too? Sorry, I'm getting to be more of an environment Nazi in my old age. Especially when taking the easy way out hurts the environment. I am quite conflicted about replacing the huge factory monstrosity exhaust with cats with something else for cosmetic reasons. I have heard the excuse that "my other vehicles are green so I can justify removing all the emission controls on my bike", and I don't buy it. Damn I must be getting old. Of course I also think gas guzzling vehicles of all types are an anachronism. Seeing soccer moms driving around alone in 7,000 pound monster SUV's makes me a little ill.

#10 Shamone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:39 AM

I totally agree ideally it would be the best plan to keep the sensors, but if a company the size of Ducati can't get it right then all we can do it rely on small third party companies to provide basic solutions.

#11 mntbighker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

View PostShamone, on 19 March 2012 - 02:39 AM, said:

I totally agree ideally it would be the best plan to keep the sensors, but if a company the size of Ducati can't get it right then all we can do it rely on small third party companies to provide basic solutions.

Yeah, isn't that depressing :fail :notworking :sad

#12 DEVL-01

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

Living in a police state is going to help much either , i am very concious of keeping my bike close to oem in the case i need to take my bike in for inspection and you need that flapper in to pass the 4000 rpm. Correct me if i am wrong. I would rather leave the noise crap/flapper in and pc/reflash map with exhaust , i know its going to run not quite what you would like under 5k but i dont like riding much in that rpm anyway unless i have to . I gues it wouldnt be too hard to put it back to standard if the need arises? just my .02c

Edited by diavl-1, 19 March 2012 - 03:05 PM.

#13 Stagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

View Postdiavl-1, on 19 March 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

Living in a police state is going to help much either , i am very concious of keeping my bike close to oem in the case i need to take my bike in for inspection and you need that flapper in to pass the 4000 rpm. Correct me if i am wrong. I would rather leave the noise crap/flapper in and pc/reflash map with exhaust , i know its going to run not quite what you would like under 5k but i dont like riding much in that rpm anyway unless i have to . I gues it wouldnt be too hard to put it back to standard if the need arises? just my .02c

I understand about OEM - I'm even running with the ugly rear fender to stop the Gestapo harrassing me.
You are correct, any Ducati dealer can reset the ECU back to standard for any tests you may be forced to do, with a factory reflash. You can then reapply the Rexxer map at any Rexxer agent as long as you have the back up file which includes your ECU serial number. Both tasks are performed accessing the plug under the seat.

I also understand this is not for everyone, my feedback is aimed to those who are considering it as a solution rather than resister based options like FatDuc/Redline - Shift Tech/Powercommander manipulators.

#14 DEVL-01

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

yeah thanks mate for putting this info out there , i was seriously considering the options you have posted ,but i get tired of looking over my shoulders so i may leave mine near stock for now but i know what i would like to do :devil

#15 mintpaul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:18 PM

Do you know if each gear is mapped separately in the ECU?

I have read that it is like this for a Mulistrada, I know this is a very different bike to be ridden off rd sometimes

Edited by mintpaul, 20 March 2012 - 12:47 AM.

#16 Stagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:34 PM

View Postmintpaul, on 19 March 2012 - 11:18 PM, said:

Do you if each gear is mapped separately in the ECU?

I have read that it is like this for a Mulistrada but I know this is a very different bike to be ridden off rd sometimes

I don't know about gears, the ECU gets input from many sensors so it it may be true. I do know the ECU is exactly the same unit as the MTS, however importantly, the file structure on the map is very different. You can however swap them and reflash either unit to the others factory map.

Edited by Stagger, 19 March 2012 - 11:35 PM.

#17 croaky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

Stagger,

I'm confused, I thought you were over the rexxer flash back in December and I'm so close to ordering the new PC5 available in Austrialia in a few weeks, so do I have to rethink?

Quoting Paulin Hanson, please explain the back-flip with rexxer reflash?
PM me if your uncomfortable posting a reply.

#18 Stagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:43 AM

So sorry Croaky I missed your post. The orginal Rexxer update did not turn off the 02 sensor - despite the claims that it did. I didn't take up the refund offered, as I was assured they were working on it. As it was always "a week away", I grew impatient so I went to plan B and got Chris to turn 02 and Exhaust off on a loaned ECU.

While that was getting done the Rexxer was sorted. So i had two. I staid with the Rexxer as it was the costliest and there will be ongoing support. I am loving how much smoother it is. A power commander will now be effective across the entire range, but I can wait until I have settled on a quiter exhaust than the CW.

So there is an ECU available as a swap with the latest Ducati flash with the 02 and Exhaust off available. As mentioned further up the post, any factory updates may wipe it out.

#19 mintpaul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

Had my first good run with the Rexxer and I'm very happy.

I'm running it in a higher gear, smooth low revs and pulls hard with no flat spots.
With my open pipe it is not as loud at cruising speeds due to running a higher gear lower revs.
The decel popping has stopped apart from when you are up it but no where near as loud and often as before.
My running temp has dropped too

#20 Thewolf

Expert Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,191 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

Hmm... this is making me consider a Rexxer and ditch waiting for TuneBoy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users