15 replies to this topic

#1 VincentVega

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:40 AM

Does anyone have a step by step process on how to change the air filter?

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 Stw

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Diavel Model: Red

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

View PostVincentVega, on 08 March 2012 - 07:40 AM, said:

Does anyone have a step by step process on how to change the air filter?

Why do you wanna do this??

#3 VincentVega

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:04 AM

View PostStw, on 08 March 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:

Why do you wanna do this??

Is this not something we do to this bike before riding season?

#4 Stw

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

Not me... Bike gets serviced as when required.... How many miles do you have on the bike???

#5 VincentVega

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:15 AM

View PostStw, on 08 March 2012 - 08:10 AM, said:

Not me... Bike gets serviced as when required.... How many miles do you have on the bike???

Nevermind.

#6 Stw

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:19 AM

View PostVincentVega, on 08 March 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

Nevermind.

Ok.... I was just asking... I thought you might want to go the K&N Route and I was going to suggest you save your money.. The standard filter flows air really well ..............

#7 VincentVega

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

View PostStw, on 08 March 2012 - 08:19 AM, said:

Ok.... I was just asking... I thought you might want to go the K&N Route and I was going to suggest you save your money.. The standard filter flows air really well ..............

I like to do my own work and just didnt want to disassemble too much just to check and/or change the AF.

#8 Coldduc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

I've been taking a lot of things apart on my bike and I can see where the air filter is located. The service manual suggests you need to remove the air intakes and all the tank covers. I would start by removing the right side air intake cover and see if you can access the filter without taking off all the cover pieces. The plastic air intake tube needs to be removed. Once you can see where that fits you will need a long T-handle allen wrench (4mm- not sure on this) and you'll have to remove 3 screws and then you should have access to it. The filter is like a tube that slides into a slot behind the air intake assembly. Because I was not going in merely to replace the filter I'm not sure how much stuff you actually have to remove. It's a bit of a job and you do need that long allen wrench.

#9 VincentVega

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

View PostColdduc, on 08 March 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

I've been taking a lot of things apart on my bike and I can see where the air filter is located. The service manual suggests you need to remove the air intakes and all the tank covers. I would start by removing the right side air intake cover and see if you can access the filter without taking off all the cover pieces. The plastic air intake tube needs to be removed. Once you can see where that fits you will need a long T-handle allen wrench (4mm- not sure on this) and you'll have to remove 3 screws and then you should have access to it. The filter is like a tube that slides into a slot behind the air intake assembly. Because I was not going in merely to replace the filter I'm not sure how much stuff you actually have to remove. It's a bit of a job and you do need that long allen wrench.

Thanks Coldduc , Im gonna give this a try , after Bike Week.

#10 JHP

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

When looking as if sitting on the bike, remove the left side air intake cover and screen. Once all the Allen bolts are removed the intake will lift up out of slots in the tank cover. Look at my pics on the thread What did you do to your Diavel today.

#11 ReidMcT

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

FWIW, the air filter repacement interval is 24,000 km (about 15,000 miles).

And, thanks, JHP, for the massive time-saving advice. The workshop manual would have you removing the tank covers, tank, and exhaust system. :blink

#12 Coldduc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

View PostJHP, on 09 March 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

When looking as if sitting on the bike, remove the left side air intake cover and screen. Once all the Allen bolts are removed the intake will lift up out of slots in the tank cover. Look at my pics on the thread What did you do to your Diavel today.

That is interesting, because the service manual seems to indicate removal from the right side and as Reid notes - removal of all the covers and the exhaust!!! I think since it takes air in from both sides you can likely remove the filter from both sides - I'll be checking that in a week or so when I get my K&N filter.

#13 ReidMcT

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

The "remove the exhaust" bit just makes no sense at all. I cannot see any rationale for that, so I think it must be just another of the manhy mistakes in the "Draft" workshop manual.

#14 JHP

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:51 AM

It would be a passion to remove the other side. I installed the K&N filter which took less than 30 minutes and I wasn't sure how it came apart then. It's easy. The kit gives you thick foam gaskets for each end which I did not use because the stock filter didn't have the gaskets. Both filters are identical in size.

#15 General Lee

Expert Member

• Administrators
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

I removed both sides to do the install on my 1098 and used the included gaskets to ensure there were zero leaks. Once the initial install is done, you only need to remove one side to pull the filter, clean, and recharge.

#16 VincentVega

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:58 AM

Thanks for all the advice and instructions!!!! I have K&N filters in all my vehicles and wanted to put one in the Diavel. It should be here next week some time. If I think about it at the time ' I'll try to take pics of the install.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users