37 replies to this topic

#1 Montducati

2013 Pikes Peak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:39 AM

I installed these Hyperlite LED's for added safety, the bonus is with the tail light wiring they act as turn signals as well.
Forgot to mention they flash when braking.

Edited by Montducati, 27 February 2012 - 07:49 AM.

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 4hsmen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

Ok , I know we are all thinking of the same joke but I guess I will be the first to say the following...

Dude, you need to have your bike checked out, it sounds like a washing machine.

Ok got that out of the way, I really like what you did with the lights. Love to get miore info.

#3 Montducati

2013 Pikes Peak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:13 AM

LOL, yea the wife insists we keep the washing machine indoors with the Duc's, she can be difficult at times.

Hyperlite Flashing Brake Lights, I used 2 - S16 Kits, see the link below. Simple wiring, the LED Black to Tail Light Black, LED Grey to Tail Light Yellow and LED Red to Tail Light White with stripe.

http://hyperlites.com/stdsf.html

Edited by Montducati, 27 February 2012 - 08:44 AM.

#4 Stw

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Diavel Model: Red

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

How are they attached???? :cool

#5 Montducati

2013 Pikes Peak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:17 AM

View PostStw, on 27 February 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

How are they attached???? :cool

Double sided auto adhesive tape which comes with the kit.

#6 AlbertoMESELL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Diavel Model: Cromo

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

Look great, really.......but I don´t know if the cops think the same......

I am afraid at least here in Spain those lights are not legal.

Best regards

PD so funny the washer-sound..... hehehehe

Edited by AlbertoMESELL, 27 February 2012 - 10:37 AM.

#7 Montducati

2013 Pikes Peak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

I'm pretty sure they are legal here in the states as many motorcycist have flashing brake lights; although, I really don't care if they are or not. Maybe the flashing lights will help catch Kathy's attention as she's texting her friend about last nights party. If having some flashing LED's on the back of my bike is breaking the law, than I'd rather be alive and guilty.

Edited by Montducati, 27 February 2012 - 10:55 AM.

#8 Coop

Expert Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7,308 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

In Australia, the indicator lights (blinkers) need to be a minimum distance apart. I think the Diavel's indicators are already at the minimum distance, so putting extra indicators inside the existing ones could be deemed as illegal.
It certainly adds to the visibility though.
I think I'd like to see them installed somewhere a bit discreet though. And to only work when braking or when indicating to turn.

Edited by Coop, 27 February 2012 - 12:15 PM.

#9 AlbertoMESELL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

Apart from the distance between the lights, I think the problem might come also on the side of the non synchronized blinking between those LEDs with the stock turning lights.

Also, the brake light is supposed to be about an on/off or more powerful bright when lightning, but it never can be a blinking-stopping light...........that blinking when breaking is supposed to mean an emergency sign, or an emergency kind of break or stop.

I don't know if these is supposed to be an international regulation, though, so my advise would be to check that out on your country/state regulation.

Best regards

PS: About the safety issue........I am sure more signing or blinking means being better viewed, so you can think it is safer for the rider ....but keep in mind that it could confuse other drivers which you could put in danger, for example, forcing them to make an emergency break or stop when there is no need to do so, causing a crash.

PS2: I am a lawyer with 18 years of experience, and I am just giving my personal opinion, based on Spain´s regulations (which is by the way pretty similar all across Europe.....if you don't count those Brits that drive the other side of the road.....just like the Aussies, lots of them around here hehehe ;-) )

Edited by AlbertoMESELL, 27 February 2012 - 12:42 PM.

#10 Montducati

2013 Pikes Peak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

View PostAlbertoMESELL, on 27 February 2012 - 12:41 PM, said:

Apart from the distance between the lights, I think the problem might come also on the side of the non synchronized blinking between those LEDs with the stock turning lights.

Also, the brake light is supposed to be about an on/off or more powerful bright when lightning, but it never can be a blinking-stopping light...........that blinking when breaking is supposed to mean an emergency sign, or an emergency kind of break or stop.

I don't know if these is supposed to be an international regulation, though, so my advise would be to check that out on your country/state regulation.

Best regards

PS: About the safety issue........I am sure more signing or blinking means being better viewed, so you can think it is safer for the rider ....but keep in mind that it could confuse other drivers which you could put in danger, for example, forcing them to make an emergency break or stop when there is no need to do so, causing a crash.

PS2: I am a lawyer with 18 years of experience, and I am just giving my personal opinion, based on Spain´s regulations (which is by the way pretty similar all across Europe.....if you don't count those Brits that drive the other side of the road.....just like the Aussies, lots of them around here hehehe ;-) )

No offense Alberto but I think your comment about putting drivers in danger for having a blinking brake light is a bit extreme. I've ridden behind numerous bikes over the years that have blinking brake lights and I've never seen nor heard of any drivers getting into accidents because of them. In fact the reason I installed them was because I was impressed how they caught my attention.

I''ll report back once the riding season starts and I have some substantial time riding with them to see if I have any issues with the local constables.

#11 Montducati

2013 Pikes Peak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

View PostCoop, on 27 February 2012 - 12:14 PM, said:

In Australia, the indicator lights (blinkers) need to be a minimum distance apart. I think the Diavel's indicators are already at the minimum distance, so putting extra indicators inside the existing ones could be deemed as illegal.
It certainly adds to the visibility though.
I think I'd like to see them installed somewhere a bit discreet though. And to only work when braking or when indicating to turn.

That would mean that all the single unit integrated brake light/turn signals currently being sold are illegal.
I've been riding with integrated brake/turn signals for the past 5 years ( 0 separation between signals) on both my S4RS and 996 and did not get pulled over once. Where I live you would have to be doing something seriously wrong for law enforcement to right you a ticket because you only have 6" separation between turn signals.

Posted Image

Edited by Montducati, 27 February 2012 - 01:34 PM.

#12 Coop

Expert Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7,308 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:56 PM

It's a "rule" that happens to make sense IMO.
How would a driver behind you some distance know which way you intend to turn of they can't tell what side of the bike your indicator is coming from.
The fact that you've never been booked doesn't make those legal, or safe.
And yes, they would be illegal if the indicator separation isn't at least as far apart as the rule says it needs to be.

Edited by Coop, 27 February 2012 - 01:58 PM.

#13 Coop

Expert Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7,308 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:00 PM

It has been suggested on here somewhere that the Diavel's rear indicators aren't far enough apart to be legal in Australia. But I can't see how it could have passed ADR if that was the case.

(null)

#14 Montducati

2013 Pikes Peak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

View PostCoop, on 27 February 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

It's a "rule" that happens to make sense IMO.
How would a driver behind you some distance know which way you intend to turn of they can't tell what side of the bike your indicator is coming from.
The fact that you've never been booked doesn't make those legal, or safe.
And yes, they would be illegal if the indicator separation isn't at least as far apart as the rule says it needs to be.

IMO it's a little subjective as to what the appropriate distance is for separation, no argument the integrated units are too close. The LED's I installed as you've seen are just inbound of the OEM turn signals and angle toward the turning side. IMO it would be obvious to any vehicle behind me within a reasonable distance as to what direction I am going. If the vehicle is so far behind me that they can't determine which side is blinking then they wouldn't be a concern.

All kidding aside, thanks for the feedback; however, I'm completely comfortable with the install and will actually feel safer knowing my visibility has increased. I don't want to repeat an experience which I've posted numerous times on this forum but I had a friend who was seriously injured last year because he wasn't seen, I'll leave it at that.

#15 scm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

I like the fact that the lights are not synchronized, more of an attention getter. I would rather that the stop function flashed a few time and then stayed solid. I like it and I might do it too!
As far as the rules, as long as your stockers are legit, auxiliary lights should be cool, if not, I will take my chances.

#16 Montducati

2013 Pikes Peak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

SCM - Nice to know someone is on the same page as me. You actually have the option to have them blink for a few seconds during braking and then stop, it's a matter of not cutting the green wires on the control unit.

#17 ASLEE3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

I love it...thanks for posting and I will look at getting them installed too!!

#18 AlbertoMESELL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

View PostMontducati, on 27 February 2012 - 01:11 PM, said:

No offense Alberto but I think your comment about putting drivers in danger for having a blinking brake light is a bit extreme. I've ridden behind numerous bikes over the years that have blinking brake lights and I've never seen nor heard of any drivers getting into accidents because of them. In fact the reason I installed them was because I was impressed how they caught my attention.

I''ll report back once the riding season starts and I have some substantial time riding with them to see if I have any issues with the local constables.

No offense taken, man.

I actually said that I like your leds. They look cool to me.....but I couldnt install them here because of Spain's legal reasons.

Guys in blue here love to hassle us bikers with these things

#19 4hsmen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

would love to see a pic in clear daylight to see what they look like installed. :)

#20 ReidMcT

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

View PostMontducati, on 27 February 2012 - 01:17 PM, said:

That would mean that all the single unit integrated brake light/turn signals currently being sold are illegal.

Many of them are illegal for stret use. But enforcement is lax in many places, especially in the USA. Here's a photo of a street-legal (as far as turn signals) 848:
Posted Image

Edited by ReidMcT, 27 February 2012 - 03:48 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users