Recall in the works on overheating?

temperature recall

103 replies to this topic

Poll: Does your Diavel run too cold? (76 member(s) have cast votes)

Does your Diavel run below 160F for extended periods on the open road?

1. Yes (25 votes [32.89%])

Percentage of vote: 32.89%

2. No (51 votes [67.11%])

Percentage of vote: 67.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 mntbighker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

At my new purchase walk through the sales guy told me something I thought the masses would want to know. I didn't find a thread on it.

The dealer told me that I "may" experience some overheating issues. He claimed that not all the bikes do it, BUT the key point of the discussion was that there is a recall in the works. Apparently from what he said the thermostat occasionally sticks and in many cases at odd times. Presumably a sticking thermostat may cause the engine to run either too cool or too hot. I got a little panicky tonight when after about 30 miles in 45 to 55F weather the engine suddenly hit 210F. It happened sort of all at once, but I notice in other threads 210 is not a panic level ;-) I believe the tipping point was as the oil temp surpassed the coolant, things changed rapidly. The prior 30 miles it stayed between 155F and 180F. A stable temperature means long term reliability so I hope if there IS an issue it gets addressed before much damage is done.

Edited by mntbighker, 27 February 2012 - 09:40 AM.

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 ReidMcT

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

Interesting. I'm thinking that Ducati is regretting their decision to use a proprietary thermostat unit rather than a more traditional housing that can be opened to replace just the thermostat proper. The thermostat is definitely a money-maker for the parts department. But if they have to replace a bunch because of a defect, then it turns into a money-loser. If this story is true, then they are not only going to have to replace a bunch of them, but they also are going to have to discard their entire supply of spares.

#3 mntbighker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

View PostReidMcT, on 25 February 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

Interesting. I'm thinking that Ducati is regretting their decision to use a proprietary thermostat unit rather than a more traditional housing that can be opened to replace just the thermostat proper.

Considering I heard it from my salesman at delivery it would be strange if it was untrue. And yes, I agree with everything you said. :)

#4 Jayhawkk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

I noticed the same thing with mine the other day. 50 degrees and the bike got to 210 rather fast.

#5 streamliner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:27 AM

Mine gets to 217 in bad traffic on hot days. Fan kicks on.

#6 mntbighker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

OK, after riding today I'm convinced the termostat is about as useful as a vent hole in a condom. The ambient was 50F and the bike STAYED at 150F to 160F the entire ride until I got back into low speeds in town where it crept back to 185F. If the sensor is telling the truth those temps will not do any favors to long term engine durability or emissions or drivability. I'm calling the dealer Mon. and I may even stop riding it until they figure this out. You run a car at temps that low and you will quickly ruin a bunch of things. Last night it was 50F out and the engine was at 210F, so I don't know what that thermostat is doing. I don't know if I have heard the fans run?

I would say either the thermostat is stuck part way open, or based on other comments here they designed the system so it makes no difference what the thermostat does. It seems Ducati is working on the problem. But I wonder how many people have no idea that too cold is just as bad as too hot? And too cold will likely affect you mostly AFTER the warranty is long expired.

Edited by mntbighker, 27 February 2012 - 09:43 AM.

#7 Wntstart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

Don't know why a thermostat is needed, why not use a water restrictor? Basically a washer with hole to control water flow, no sticking parts in that. We use them in race cars with no problems.

#8 Busabeater 2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

This is kinda funny now, this is the very reason the dealer took my bike back. 2nd diavel now and I am noticing coolant temps all over the map again, nothing to bad but goes from 150 to 210 and back and all over in between.

This is more of a problem then most think, I know of another diavel too in this boat.

#9 mntbighker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:23 PM

View PostWntstart, on 26 February 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

Don't know why a thermostat is needed, why not use a water restrictor? Basically a washer with hole to control water flow, no sticking parts in that. We use them in race cars with no problems.

Yikes, no way do I want a fixed coolant flow in a water cooled engine operating in temps from 45F to 100F ambient at various speeds and loads.

#10 mntbighker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

View PostBusabeater 2, on 26 February 2012 - 07:17 PM, said:

This is kinda funny now, this is the very reason the dealer took my bike back. 2nd diavel now and I am noticing coolant temps all over the map again, nothing to bad but goes from 150 to 210 and back and all over in between.

This is more of a problem then most think, I know of another diavel too in this boat.

Yeah, I could see litigation in the future if Ducati don't engineer a solution. Riding my bike and shortening the engine life (post warranty presumably) or keeping a $24k investment as a VERY attractive driveway decoration are both unacceptable.

#11 Busabeater 2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

Yep I see Exctacly what your saying, same issue I had when my first diavel was overheating, I was not going to have a $20k bike with issues, not acceptable, I bitch, bitch a lot and issue was resolved in the way of a brand new bike.

I buy a lot of bikes, when they give me issues it's bye bye, it's called a toy, not a worry

And so far the only bike I have owned with issue is the Ducati, hate to say it as its been a dream of mine to own, so crossing fingers on the new one,

#12 DEVL-01

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts
  • Diavel Model: Red

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

My bike ran great for 1 week then it started with coolant leaks from left and right side. Left side leaks were fixed straight away , was due to bolts not being tensioned up around the thermostat housing. Next , hi temp light came on within a few minutes of startup and dealer was not sure if it really was overheating or a false temp reading? They replaced my temp sensor and a themostat with one from another model ducati ? So i havent had any problems since but the bike definitely does not like sitting around at traffic lights , temps go up pretty quick but not what they were at before,mind you its summer here average 35c lately , havent seen the hi temp light since ,touch wood!

Edited by diavl-1, 26 February 2012 - 08:23 PM.

#13 mntbighker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

Well in my opinion the correct behavior is for the temp to reach 180+ pretty quickly after start/ride. The fans don't activate for quite some time.. generally after the oil temp passes the coolant. These are signs of a correctly operating thermostat and cooling system. I would be curious what the fan set points are. If I knew that it's a good indication of the factory engineered safe temp range. But having the engine run for any extended length of time below 180F cannot be a good idea. Does anyone know anything about the factory coolant and if it has a wetting agent? RedLine makes something called Water Wetter that could do great things to cooling efficiency on engines that used "conventional" glycol coolant. Many newer engines use factory formulated coolant that already has a wetting agent in it. Back when I knew guys racing 916's they would often just run Water Wetter and distilled water.

#14 Coop

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

View Postmntbighker, on 26 February 2012 - 09:39 PM, said:

Well in my opinion the correct behavior is for the temp to reach 180+ pretty quickly after start/ride. The fans don't activate for quite some time.. generally after the oil temp passes the coolant. These are signs of a correctly operating thermostat and cooling system. I would be curious what the fan set points are. If I knew that it's a good indication of the factory engineered safe temp range. But having the engine run for any extended length of time below 180F cannot be a good idea. Does anyone know anything about the factory coolant and if it has a wetting agent? RedLine makes something called Water Wetter that could do great things to cooling efficiency on engines that used "conventional" glycol coolant. Many newer engines use factory formulated coolant that already has a wetting agent in it. Back when I knew guys racing 916's they would often just run Water Wetter and distilled water.

Water Wetter? The stuff used for pot plants and soils that have become anhydrous etc?

Edited by Coop, 26 February 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#15 mntbighker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

View PostCoop, on 26 February 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

Water Wetter? The stuff used for pot plants and soils that have become anhydrous etc?

http://www.redlineoi...ts.aspx?pcid=10

#16 Coop

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:23 AM

Cool (no pun intended). Thanks for that.

(null)

#17 mntbighker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

Does anyone have a contact at Ducati North America by the way? I never believe a word the dealers tell me, aside from the fact they don't exactly exude knowledge.

#18 mntbighker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

I took the bike back to the dealer but I have my doubts they can reproduce the low temp situation. How many service departments will take the bike out for half an hour to reproduce it. And for that matter do I really want the dealer to put more miles on my brand new bike than I have? This really sucks.

#19 Jayhawkk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

My fiance bought a Elantra and we're experiencing low mpg issues and took it to the dealer. They drove it 5 miles and said the car wad fine... So no, i dont expect dealers to try and reproduce anything.

#20 mntbighker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

The service dept. said they would call me today so of course I had to call them at closing time and service has all gone. Sales said all numbers looked good sitting in the shop (duh) so they could not reproduce any issues. As expected taking it in got me nowhere. So basically I will have to let it self destruct to get any kind of action. In a nutshell I guess ride it until before the warranty runs out and get raped selling it before the wild temperature fluctuations cause major issues. Sales also told me with the celsius to F conversion those super low temp numbers are what Ducati expects. Whoa, you would think Ducati was run by the Federal Government if they are that clueless. I seriously doubt that is accurate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users