Gas Consumption

55 replies to this topic

#1 Jeffdag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:48 AM

I read the thread re the gas tank capacity. Can anyone provide an explanation of the fuel consumption readout and if/how it relates to the trip odometer? I find some of the explanations in the manual confusing. How do others monitor gas consumption. Also, in California, I find it difficult to fill the tank. The nozzle barley fits and hits the open gas cap.

Love the bike - unbelievable!

Jeff

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 BobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:18 PM

You might try a McCuff.
I have a couple of them but haven't tried it out on the Diavel yet but they worked nice on my past bikes.

#3 Captain Scarlet

Expert Member

• Global Moderators
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:37 PM

Going By my demo ride, when you reset the trip meter the ave mpg is also reset. When you get down to the reserve capacity the trip switches to a counter. I,e. Not miles until empty, but how many miles you have traveled on the reserve. I think the reserve is 1 US gallon, so a possible theoretical 30 miles until empty, but best refuel soon as you can really. I too sprayed fuel all over the top of the tank - I'm surprised I didn't set the thing on fire! I guess it's a practice. / patience thing to get right, or fit a funnel collar insert.

#4 geoffro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:02 AM

yes, same experience as the Skipper here, I found that when refilling it can be quite easy for petrol to spit out as the shape of the inside of the tank won't allow the nozzle to go as far down as some other bikes.

I rode 35 kms today on reserve (light went on at 185 kms)and when I filled up there were still 2 litres left in the 17 litre tank. My previous estimation on the range of the tank may have been a little, umm, optimistic :) I am still hoping as the engine is run in more that this might improve a little.

I forsee many petrol stops in the future...ah well, have to give the general public opportunities to stand around and stare and make funny "ooooh...ahhhh" noises.

#5 CJK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:33 AM

View PostJeffdag, on 05 April 2011 - 08:48 AM, said:

I read the thread re the gas tank capacity. Can anyone provide an explanation of the fuel consumption readout and if/how it relates to the trip odometer? I find some of the explanations in the manual confusing. How do others monitor gas consumption. Also, in California, I find it difficult to fill the tank. The nozzle barley fits and hits the open gas cap.

The captain's post is accurate in how the fuel consumption display works. There *is* no gas gauge per se, so I agree with the advice to fill up as soon as possible after the light comes on. (I ended up with just under 3/4 gal US remaining in the tank after driving about 15 miles with the light on.)

#6 Jeffdag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:52 AM

Thanks all - I usually will fill up ASAP after the light come on. 1 gallon on reserve should get about 15 miles. I will also check my range on a full tank to determine the time between fill-ups. I plan a 225 mile range with my Harley. SO I just need to ride the Diavel more to determine an average range.

Jeff

#7 Captain Scarlet

Expert Member

• Global Moderators
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:38 AM

"1 gallon on reserve should get about 15 miles"

... I hope not, that's as thirsty as my SUV! :) i reckon on twice that I would say, with a not push it (else you might!) past 15 miles before refuelling.

#8 Jeffdag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I meant 25 miles. Should have re-read my post. I realize that I may get more miles per gallon, but there are numerous factors involved that can skew the number. 25 miles per gallon seems like a safe number.

#9 Thewolf

Expert Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:12 AM

Better safe than sorry... unless you enjoy walking more than I do

#10 Converted

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:27 PM

I was suprised that with all the electronics on the bike, it does not have a gas guage. Fuel consumption has to be one of my lowest priorities on this bike. Stopping to re-fuel resembles opening day at the Custom Bike Show. I can't get out of the parking lot without answering a question. Maybe I should have some Ducati business cards made up to collect some sales referrals!

#11 Jeffdag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:28 AM

I overfilled the tank because the nozzle does not fit correctly, and did not turn off. Gas came up over the top and into the recess with the LCD. Will this hurt the display or the bike by overfilling? I do not see this issue going away. Any filling tips?

#12 Haku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:44 AM

View PostJeffdag, on 11 April 2011 - 09:28 AM, said:

I overfilled the tank because the nozzle does not fit correctly, and did not turn off. Gas came up over the top and into the recess with the LCD. Will this hurt the display or the bike by overfilling? I do not see this issue going away. Any filling tips?

I've done the same and no issues arose. I just made sure to wipe it all down thoroughly with a damp cloth. Now I am wiser and super careful when filling up.

#13 Captain Scarlet

Expert Member

• Global Moderators
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:30 AM

This thread is entitles Gas Consumption, but not a single entry has been about that. Instead we've talked about other useful stuff like tank capacity, theoretical range and refuelling. Has anybody actually checked their gas consumption yet? I.e. Not relying on what the digital ave mpg, but trip reset checked it?

#14 Jeffdag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:48 AM

Good point Captain. I have not done so yet. I could not even tell if I was filling the tank. So I did not bother to check. I do know that when the fuel light came on, I was about 8 miles away from a gas station. Did not have to walk the bike!

Jeff

#15 CJK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:14 PM

View PostCaptain Scarlet, on 11 April 2011 - 11:30 AM, said:

This thread is entitles Gas Consumption, but not a single entry has been about that. Instead we've talked about other useful stuff like tank capacity, theoretical range and refuelling. Has anybody actually checked their gas consumption yet? I.e. Not relying on what the digital ave mpg, but trip reset checked it?

I'm using Ownersite to keep all sorts of details on my new baby. If anyone's interested, you can view my mileage & maintenance information here:

2011 Ducati Diavel Carbon

(There's nothing much there yet, as I haven't yet had to fill up after the initial tankful.)

#16 geoffro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:15 AM

View PostCaptain Scarlet, on 11 April 2011 - 11:30 AM, said:

I addressed this on another post. Avg over 3 tanks in differing riding conditions was almost spot on 7l/100km using the tripometer (i only ever use tripometer for monitoring fuel and consumption). Cheers

#17 Jeffdag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:25 AM

View Postgeoffro, on 12 April 2011 - 12:15 AM, said:

I addressed this on another post. Avg over 3 tanks in differing riding conditions was almost spot on 7l/100km using the tripometer (i only ever use tripometer for monitoring fuel and consumption). Cheers

Excuse my stupidity, but are you saying 100km per tank?

#18 Martijn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:42 PM

View PostJeffdag, on 12 April 2011 - 08:25 AM, said:

Excuse my stupidity, but are you saying 100km per tank?

No he is saying 7L/100km. With a 17L tank you will get a total of 242Km per tank. But I think you will refueling at 220km max.

#19 sportbiker2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Diavel Model: Red

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:46 PM

View PostMartijn, on 12 April 2011 - 12:42 PM, said:

No he is saying 7L/100km. With a 17L tank you will get a total of 242Km per tank. But I think you will refueling at 220km max.

About 33 MPG US then. Fuel warning will probably come on at about 100 miles I suppose?

#20 Captain Scarlet

Expert Member

• Global Moderators
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:21 PM

220km is about 130 miles for anybody wondering. But I don't think it'll go that far until the reserve counter starts because based on the figures above that would only give a 15 mile reserve and it's a 4L reserve I think (4.54 litres per UK gallon, slightly bigger than US)? With an ave 30 mpg (US) I would expect double the reserve. I.e. 30 miles. So closer to 115 to reserve, with a 30 mile reserve?

Can anybody tell us the exact mileage that they are getting until the reserve counter cuts in? Both in Miles and Km's? And how much fuel (litres, gallons both UK and US) it is taking to fill the tank to the brim again? I think these are probably the real questions that everybody wants to know the answers too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users