13 replies to this topic

#1 AstroPete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

Hi Everyone,

It appears that I have blown up the low bean bulb. Just riding home one night and it just went out. Thank goodness for the LEDs :)

I have a replacement bulb but have'nt got a clue how to get to it. It was one screw on the Street Triple but having a look at the front cowl of the Diavel I think it is not going to be as easy.

I have removed the sportster screen but would like some guidance as to what I should do next. The only thing I can see holding the cowl in place are a couple of bolts below the headlight. I assume they are next but just thought I would confer with the more familiar as to the easiest way to proceed. Dont really feel like playing around too much with this bike.

Thanks in advance.

Pete.

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 GiL

Diavel Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • Diavel Model: No Diavel Yet

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:49 PM

Pete, yes take those two bolts under the headlight off and the entire headlight assembly slides up and and then after it unhooks you can pull it off. Its a little tricky sliding it up because its held on with two pegs and rubber washers, so you have to carefully force it up. If you keep an eye inside the handlebar area you will see the method they used to secure it.

Before you pull the headlight assembly off you should disconnect the two plugs (low and high beam) that power the headlight. They are on th left side of the bike, in the handlebar column. When resecuring the two bolts that hold the assembly be careful not to overtigthen and snap the lugs...read about that happening to someone on here

Good luck buddy...if you have any further questions fire away

Ps - if you search HID there is a thread that has photos and some more details about the procedure.

#3 ReidMcT

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:14 PM

Just to add a few tips about the two cables you must unplug:

1. You'll see a zip tie is tightly fastened about the two cables. Do not cut the zip tie. Simply push it upward, and the whole bundle and mounting block will neatly disengage from a small lug on the frame.

2. The two plugs can be easily detached from their frame anchors by sliding them upwards.

3. A small flat-blade screwdriver is handy for releasing the plastic clips to separate the plugs.

#4 AstroPete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:26 PM

Thanks guys, got it off and replaced the bulb but the light still wont come on. Have started the engine as I know the motor needs to be running for it to light up. Any suggestions?

#5 AstroPete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

The plot thickens. I removed the cowl again, had the bike running and when i jiggled the cable that runs to the light it started to flicker on and off. The problem appears to be right where it dissapears into the chasis. Looks like a warranty job :( Hopefully wont be off the road too long. I have a trip to Tassis planned early next year. Thanks Reid and GiLL for your help.

#6 GiL

Diavel Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:24 AM

Possibly sounds like a bad connection...definitely a warranty issue. If your close to the dealer probably best having them repair it.

#7 Airman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:56 AM

Try the fuse boxes (under the seat)...
Maybe it's just a blown fuse...

#8 Jaelum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:30 AM

In this thread (http://www.diavel-fo...009-diavel-hid/ ) a couple people mentioned that if the bulb or base of it is touching the reflector at all, it will flicker or not work at all.

#9 GiL

Diavel Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:16 PM

Jaelum, the bulb with the issues were aftermarket HID bulb kits. Not the regular incandescent bulbs as the Diavel comes with.

#10 AstroPete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

I thought it was a connection issue as well but can guarantee that it is plugged in correctly. If i move the cable at the globe end no change, but if I move it towards the chasis end it flickers.

From what we can make out the fuse for the lights is not in the fuse box under the seat, but rather a master fuse by the battery? I think if it was a blown or loose master fuse issue there maybe other signs other than no low beam headlight.

And yeah I'm just replacing it with a standard bulb, no HID, and it is the same size as the original.

I thought I would take this opportunity to test out the ducati roadside assist, even though I was at home, to see if they could fix it. Had someone show up in about 40 minutes. They concurred that they thought that the issue appears to be the loom.

Went out to the garage this morning and tested the light again and it is now working. Speculating maybe a broken cable that has contact when everything is tightened. No doubt it will stop working after a short time on the road.

If it is a broken cable in the loom would that mean a replacement loom or repair? It couldn't be easy the replace the loom.

Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions.

#11 ReidMcT

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

AstroPete,
The bulb is wired through the connector at the steering head, and from there a short wire runs to the instrument module on the tank. As you found, there is not a specifric headlight fuse. Apparently, the headlight power is provided by one of the CAN bus cables, though I can't be sure because the major modules are "black boxes" (undocumented). The good thing about this, as you observed, is that a blown fuse would have more widespread impacts.

As for replacing a "loom," I expect that if the wire is bad, they would replace just that one wire. It is not hard to do, with the right terminals, and hopefully a properly color-coded bit of wire.

#12 AstroPete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:13 PM

View PostReidMcT, on 17 December 2011 - 06:07 PM, said:

AstroPete,
The bulb is wired through the connector at the steering head, and from there a short wire runs to the instrument module on the tank. As you found, there is not a specifric headlight fuse. Apparently, the headlight power is provided by one of the CAN bus cables, though I can't be sure because the major modules are "black boxes" (undocumented). The good thing about this, as you observed, is that a blown fuse would have more widespread impacts.

As for replacing a "loom," I expect that if the wire is bad, they would replace just that one wire. It is not hard to do, with the right terminals, and hopefully a properly color-coded bit of wire.

Excellent. Shouldn't be off the road too long then :) Thanks Reid.

Pete.

#13 AstroPete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:59 AM

An update incase anyone is interested. Took it in today for the Ducati service guys to take a look at the low beam llight. When they first tested it they could not get the low beam light to turn on at all. They then pulled the loom back to the bottom shroud and tested it. It passes. Then they reran it back to the head stem and it started working. They think that maybe there was not enought slack in the loom up front so when the steering was turned it was straining something. They have now positioned all the slack in the loom towards the front of the bike so steering movement doesn't strain anything. They cannot get it to fail now but have made a note of the fault and if it reoccurs they will organise a replacement loom. Hopefully that is the end of it. Cheers.

Edited by AstroPete, 23 December 2011 - 03:03 AM.

#14 Jaelum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:49 AM

Thanks for the update, Astropete. Glad you got it fixed in a relatively painless fashion!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users