Kriega bag and carbon red seat cover

29 replies to this topic

#1 gseely

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:08 PM

Does anyone know if there a risk of scratching the carbon seat cover when using a kriega bag or the Kriega connector clips, or is the paint hard enough to withstand scratching by the plastic? I can, of course, remove the seat cover, but I would prefer not to.

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

Diavel-Forum.com

#2 Mattress

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:30 PM

Good question. I purchased the touring seat with the intention of leaving the Kriega straps permanently affixed. Just swap the stock seat, with carbon cover, for the touring seat, with luggage capability, whenever I planned on going for a long ride or an overnight stay away.

I didn't expect the damn touring seat to be so bloody good! The stock seat sits, carbon cover-free, on a shelf in the garage! The carbon cover is now permanently fixed to the touring seat!

Maybe I just need another touring seat........for touring!

#3 Alan

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:48 PM

View PostMattress, on 06 November 2011 - 02:30 PM, said:

Good question. I purchased the touring seat with the intention of leaving the Kriega straps permanently affixed. Just swap the stock seat, with carbon cover, for the touring seat, with luggage capability, whenever I planned on going for a long ride or an overnight stay away.

I didn't expect the damn touring seat to be so bloody good! The stock seat sits, carbon cover-free, on a shelf in the garage! The carbon cover is now permanently fixed to the touring seat!

Hey Mattress - thats exactly the postion I am in, I want to fix my DP bags to my seat permanently hence I am looking for aniother touring seat as I want to leave the carbon cover on my original touring seat - its MAD !

#4 gseely

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:24 PM

View PostMattress, on 06 November 2011 - 02:30 PM, said:

I tried something similar. I'm only 5'5", so I bought a Low Ride seat that I was going to keep the seat cover on, and planned to use the standard seat for mounting the bag (or vice-versa). Although the difference in height is tiny, I don't feel as secure on the standard seat, and don't really want to use it.

#5 OhDiavelgirl

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts
  • Diavel Model: Black

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

Although I don't have the carbon version my rubber backed bag very quickly scratched the paint on my seat cover. I buffed, begged and pleaded to get it out but couldn't. Had to have it touched up. Personally it's just not worth the risk. I know I won't do it again.

#6 Scutty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:43 AM

I run a Kriega US20 every day for work but I would never use my seat cover with it - it will scratch a lot I guess. I use the US Hook Straps (rather than the seat ones) on the frame and just unhook the straps when I dont need them. That system works well for me and when I go on trips I just add the 2 US10s and, if needed, another on the tank mount.
In case you haven't guessed, I am a big fan of Kriega kit, never let in water and their customer service/warranty is excellent.

#7 Sergente di ferro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:22 AM

Agree, Kriega 10 with tank bra permanently fitted, works a treat

#8 Voradis Mark Vinyaratn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:33 AM

View PostScutty, on 07 November 2011 - 12:43 AM, said:

I run a Kriega US20 every day for work but I would never use my seat cover with it - it will scratch a lot I guess. I use the US Hook Straps (rather than the seat ones) on the frame and just unhook the straps when I dont need them. That system works well for me and when I go on trips I just add the 2 US10s and, if needed, another on the tank mount.
In case you haven't guessed, I am a big fan of Kriega kit, never let in water and their customer service/warranty is excellent.

Hi Scutty
My US Hook Straps order is on the way to Thailand; however, I took a look under my Carbon Black's seat and still not sure how to attach the US Hook Straps to the "frame"? Would you please share my me how and where are you attaching the US Hook Straps to the bike's frame. Really need your advise on this. Appreciate it. Thanks.

Mark V.

#9 Mattress

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:04 AM

View PostAlan, on 06 November 2011 - 02:48 PM, said:

Hey Mattress - thats exactly the postion I am in, I want to fix my DP bags to my seat permanently hence I am looking for aniother touring seat as I want to leave the carbon cover on my original touring seat - its MAD !

Alan,

Yeah, it is bloody mad. I am loathe to spend another £160 on another touring seat but I think it's the only option!

Or, maybe I can find an upholsterer to turn my stock seat into touring seat for less than £160?

#10 Scutty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:21 AM

Mark

Someone kindly posted a great shot of how to use the Kriega US Hooks, you can find it here:

http://www.diavel-fo...kriega__st__200

#11 AMPJ8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Diavel Model: Red

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

I have a red Diavel and run every day with the Hook straps on with either my US-10 or US-20. Kriega has always been my preferred solution.
I had the same question and appreciated the feedback from OhDiavelgirl. Then I removed the seat cover and looked.......

Didn't liked my Diavel without its seat cover!

Then thought "if i keep it home then I will basically never use it again as I won't be putting it in one day and removing it the next one".
So I kept it!

The red paint looks as new and YES even so the Kriega bag have rubber net on the back it will certainly do some scratching more in the sense of friction than actual scratches. You can see them with indirect light. Daylight you won't notice and honestly, through time it will all look wasted (example I have besides a Ducati 916 and its plastic parts look as you would expect).

So I put a piece of cloth under the Kriega and place my US bag over the cover. Will it scratch it through time? YES. Is it something dramatic? Not for me. ... honestly worst case I get the cover for a paint job, easily done.

I preferred to have the original look of my bike every time I come to ride it that is why I kept it.

Finally The carbon would not scratch as much unless it is the Red Carbon then probably the paint would scratch.

Hope this helps you out on your decision.

AMPJ
Ps. will post some pics tomorrow so you have a look at my "scratches".

#12 OhDiavelgirl

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:08 PM

Got around the whole scratch heartache with a piece of clear static cling vinyl from my local sign shop. Put it on when I have a bag on and peel it off when I don't. But it does depend on the size of the bag. With a black bike it shows scratches easily. I am just a little weird about scratches. This is my pride and joy.

#13 AMPJ8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:16 PM

Here the iPhone picture of the scratches.

Can be seen on the left side, visible through the reflection of the light. Not visible otherwise.

#14 General Lee

Expert Member

• Administrators
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:49 PM

I recall at least one person complaining of scratches from their backpack rubbing. IMO, take the thing off if you're going to have anything strapped to the back of the bike. Paint gets scratched. Let the seat take the abuse and then cover it up with the cover for bike nights. You'll have to take off the seat to mount the tail bag anyway.

#15 AMPJ8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

Honestly... I don't like how it looks without its seat cover. It just hypnotizes me as I approach her, can not look else where, can not get enough of looking her from different angles so it is complete with the cover! just don't want to spoil my visual experience every time I get close to her. :thumbup :biggrin :+1

I just put a cloth or a protection like OhDiavelgirl has and I use it. As much as I like my diavel as much as I am keen on using it every day for what I do, so I can live up with the trade off. Worst case, then I polish the cover if it gets too worn out, or new paint job, I am fine with this.

#16 Voradis Mark Vinyaratn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:41 AM

View PostScutty, on 08 November 2011 - 04:21 AM, said:

Mark

Someone kindly posted a great shot of how to use the Kriega US Hooks, you can find it here:

http://www.diavel-fo...kriega__st__200

Thanks sir. Take delivery of my Carbon Black in coming Monday - can't wait! Aiming to head east of Bangkok to Pattaya and back to get to know the Beast!. Appreciate your reply on the Kriega US Hooks.

#17 ddd269

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:14 AM

How about using one of these... It's kind of like what the Diavelgirl has suggested but a bit more cushy.

I've used these whenever I mounted a removable pillion on my Vstar 1300. It's non-slip so it will help secure the bag as well.

http://www.amazon.co...ref=pd_sim_hg_1

There are different variation of this kind of pads and can usually find in discount stores (99 cent stores, Big Lot, Walmart, etc.)

#18 Mattress

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:37 PM

View Postddd269, on 16 November 2011 - 10:14 AM, said:

How about using one of these... It's kind of like what the Diavelgirl has suggested but a bit more cushy.

I've used these whenever I mounted a removable pillion on my Vstar 1300. It's non-slip so it will help secure the bag as well.

http://www.amazon.co...ref=pd_sim_hg_1

There are different variation of this kind of pads and can usually find in discount stores (99 cent stores, Big Lot, Walmart, etc.)

For a moment I thought you meant the rug!! Yeah, that anti-slip stuff would be ideal....it certainly wouldn't scratch the CF.

#19 donsesso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:56 PM

greetings,

i have the carbon red and the kriega us 20 (and 10). i use the hook straps. best money i've spent. saves a bunch of time.

i DO have scratches on the seat cover from the kriega. i bought a roll of drawer liner (sold at lowes or the dollar store). i put a piece on the seat and place the bag on top of the liner. the liner is in the kriega when not being used.

#20 ddd269

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:29 AM

View PostMattress, on 16 November 2011 - 12:37 PM, said:

For a moment I thought you meant the rug!! Yeah, that anti-slip stuff would be ideal....it certainly wouldn't scratch the CF.

Hahahaha Don't blame you! I should have found a better example.

View Postdonsesso, on 16 November 2011 - 03:56 PM, said:

greetings,

i have the carbon red and the kriega us 20 (and 10). i use the hook straps. best money i've spent. saves a bunch of time.

i DO have scratches on the seat cover from the kriega. i bought a roll of drawer liner (sold at lowes or the dollar store). i put a piece on the seat and place the bag on top of the liner. the liner is in the kriega when not being used.

This is what I was talking about. The cushy kind, right?

Edited by ddd269, 17 November 2011 - 09:30 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users