Jump to content


Rear Wheel Removal


7 replies to this topic

#1 Cajun Power

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
    Joined: 28-April 11
  • Location: Lafayette, LA
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:52 AM

I see some specific rear wheel removal tool sets out there...

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B002L2JQRI

Are they needed or will a 46 mm and 41 mm impact do the job? I know they are on there at about 150 ft/lbs so it takes some effort. I not taking mine off in the next couple hundred mile but want to be ready when I decide to. I am sure I'll take it off 1-2 times per year in the future and would rather have the "right" tools.



41MM for the hub side, 46mm for the wheel side.

Remove Advertisements Sponsored Links

    Diavel-Forum.com



#2 General Lee

    Expert Member

  • Administrators
  • 3,002 posts
    Joined: 09-May 11
  • Location: SoCal
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:08 AM

View PostCajun Power, on 27 June 2011 - 09:52 AM, said:

I see some specific rear wheel removal tool sets out there...

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B002L2JQRI

Are they needed or will a 46 mm and 41 mm impact do the job? I know they are on there at about 150 ft/lbs so it takes some effort. I not taking mine off in the next couple hundred mile but want to be ready when I decide to. I am sure I'll take it off 1-2 times per year in the future and would rather have the "right" tools.



41MM for the hub side, 46mm for the wheel side.


Best to get the special double-sided tool for the job and not risk damaging your nuts.

#3 Captain Scarlet

    Expert Member

  • Global Moderators
  • 1,336 posts
    Joined: 18-February 11
  • Location: Roswell, GA, USA
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:13 AM

FGI: With the stock exhaust fitted you'll need to remove the cans too. Ok with the Termi full system.

#4 JHP

    Expert Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
    Joined: 18-April 11
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Black

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:46 AM

View PostGeneral Lee, on 27 June 2011 - 10:08 AM, said:

Best to get the special double-sided tool for the job and not risk damaging your nuts.

Don't want to damaged your NUTS that would hurt!! :poke

#5 Cajun Power

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
    Joined: 28-April 11
  • Location: Lafayette, LA
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:07 AM

Wow, I don't plan on doing this naked. I was going to at least wear a kilt. But, I will watch out for my nuts!

#6 Hui

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
    Joined: 17-April 11
  • Diavel Model: No Diavel Yet

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:50 PM

View PostCajun Power, on 27 June 2011 - 09:52 AM, said:

I see some specific rear wheel removal tool sets out there...

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B002L2JQRI

Are they needed or will a 46 mm and 41 mm impact do the job? I know they are on there at about 150 ft/lbs so it takes some effort. I not taking mine off in the next couple hundred mile but want to be ready when I decide to. I am sure I'll take it off 1-2 times per year in the future and would rather have the "right" tools.



41MM for the hub side, 46mm for the wheel side.

Watch your sizes.
The rear wheel and sprocket nut is a 55mm and not 46mm as you seem to think. The proper socket has tapered sides to suit the slight taper on the nuts for a perfect fit.

#7 General Lee

    Expert Member

  • Administrators
  • 3,002 posts
    Joined: 09-May 11
  • Location: SoCal
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:29 PM

View PostCajun Power, on 28 June 2011 - 09:07 AM, said:

Wow, I don't plan on doing this naked. I was going to at least wear a kilt. But, I will watch out for my nuts!


I wasn't suggesting the wheel socket or wrench would do the kicking. Heh.

#8 Thewolf

    Expert Member

  • Global Moderators
  • 2,194 posts
    Joined: 19-March 11
  • Location: Sydney, Australia
  • Diavel Model: Carbon Red

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:21 PM

View PostHui, on 28 June 2011 - 01:50 PM, said:

Watch your sizes.
The rear wheel and sprocket nut is a 55mm and not 46mm as you seem to think. The proper socket has tapered sides to suit the slight taper on the nuts for a perfect fit.


Yep - older Duc's and the Triumphs run a 46mm standard socket

The Diavel and most newer Ducs run the "Double Hex" nuts

When people saw my 46mm standard socket they asked what it was for... my standard response was "I have big nuts" :mrgreen





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users